Do you make a living off of raising chickens?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by SquirrelGirl, Oct 13, 2009.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    [​IMG] Make a living. I consider it my hobby that helps pay for itself a little. I sell eggs and a few birds here and there.

2. SquirrelGirl

SquirrelGirl In the Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Quote:I have allllways wanted to have cattle! [​IMG] I just have no idea how to get started. [​IMG] How many do you have? Do you lease land for them? Do you have to have so many acres that you live on to be able to lease land?

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I have allllways wanted to have cattle! [​IMG] I just have no idea how to get started. [​IMG] How many do you have? Do you lease land for them? Do you have to have so many acres that you live on to be able to lease land?

Right now we have about 65 pairs plus bulls. We rent about 100 acres and then we own enough pasture for the rest. We grow feed for them to carry them thru the six months of the year they aren't in the pastures.

4. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    Quote:100 chicks a month! WOW!! How cool is that?? How many acres does he use for them? Any idea how he gets cheap feed? You are so lucky to beable to learn from him!
    [​IMG]

He does not sell the chicks. He raises them up to about 4 months or so old and then sells them off at about 10-12 each depending on the size. He has been doing it for the past 20 years or so and most of th eones he sells are not for pets.. He free ranges them all until they are about to be sold and then feeds them corn. Up to that time, they pretty much eat from the land. And if you are wondering, yes there are chickens everywhere, on the roof, cars, porch, ect...... When he does buy feed it is around $7 per 50 pound bag.

5. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:I'm lucky if I make enough to pay part of the feed bill on occassion.

6. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Even with an egg contract locally, we definitely do not make money on this hobby. Excluding the thousands we've spent on wiring and fencing, 12 humongous moveable trailers, the utilities, the incubating costs, etc, etc. I estimate to this point in time this year we have already lost significant dollars...... MMMM, expensive hobby.

I'm being spoiled in my hobby by Hubby as the chicken by product of manure is wonderful for our gardens and since we sell vegetables, then maybe our loss would be reduced by a few hundred dollars annually......Would have to put a pencil to it, but don't want to or I might back away from my favorite hobby. Chicken manure is expensive to come by and hard to get but moreover we cannot use chicken house manure as we are chemical free in our veggie gardens.

Well, I keep asking myself this question......It's a tough one.... but No, no living off of raising chickens here.

If there is anyone who solely raises chickens and makes a living please let me know how!!!!!

Have a blessed day.

7. SquirrelGirl

Oct 9, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG] you are living my dream life [​IMG]

8. SquirrelGirl

Oct 9, 2009
    Quote:amazing!! I wonder if my chickens could just live off the land too? What sort of land/growth do you have to have for that to be possible? [​IMG]

Anyone else here who lets their chickens just live off the land for the most part?

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:[​IMG] you are living my dream life [​IMG]

You probably wouldn't say that if you lived the reality of it 365 days a year. I wouldn't trade it, it's all I've ever known, but it isn't the idealic life people think it is.

10. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Songster

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    he is in the middle of no where. He has about 5 acres but the chickens go everywhere. They go into the woods, his land, ect... There is plenty for them to eat.. He is also not concerned with them getting to the "market weight" in a certain time. When they get there they get there...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: