Do you make your kids eat what they are served?

One of the best things my Mom did for us was to make us eat two bites no matter what and BEFORE she told us what we were eating. Guess what, my brother's favorite veggie is eggplant and I bet he wouldn't have eaten it if you had told him eggplant.

Having a wide variety of foods in your diet is the best way to get healthy instead of trying to supplement with vitamins,

Michelle

Yup to most of the above. THere are not just 2 alternatives here, there are *three* (plus variations):

1) kids must eat everything in front of them

2) kids can choose whether or not to eat it, but don't get a substitute if they decide not to eat the item (or, get a very low-grade substitute, like dry toast or whatever just to fill the nooks and crannies)

3) kids get alternative items/meals if they don't like what's served.

Here we do #2, b/c I think that the others are in most cases a bad idea in terms of the control issues they represent and in terms of lifelong attitudes towards food and money.

To each his own of course,

Pat

I was always encouraged to try new things, but never forced. Now, as an adult, I will eat almost anything and enjoy trying new foods.

I think teaching them to be polite and low-key when they are out and are offered food they don't want is important.

If it came to the point they were in the situation that they had to eat something or starve, they would eat it. Kids have so little control over their life that allowing them to decide (within reason) what they eat is okay.

We enjoy taking our nieces out to new places and having them eat something new. They are all very good about trying different items, but we never force them.

You may not think much of my opinion since I don't have kids of my own, but I thought I should be up front about it.

My husband loves to cook and is very very good at it. He will cook until everyone is fed, so that problem never occured in my house. I cook very very badly, on the other hand, so my children can choke down just about anything. I can attest to the fact that, if hungry enough, children will eat anything.
My husband is from a prim and proper family that believes you should eat whatever is offered and pretend to like it....If that happened in my family, DH would be more angry at his perception that the children were 'rude'.
idunno.gif
Men are a constant source of bewilderment for me.

If it is a pot-luck there should be something there somewhere they might like. They don't have to take something you know they might not eat and waste the food. If I know my son doesn't like live, which I love, I'm not going to select it for him at a pot-luck. Give them a choice with the understanding they find something and take it they eat it. I've used the excuse of "my son is allergic, I'll feed him later" at times. I'd rather he didn't go to bed hungry over a pot-luck. At home it's different, whatever I cook is dinner, period. He is required to take at least a little of everything and eat it. I make sure there is something for everyone, whether it's the veggie everyone likes, or maybe mashed potatoes. I'd rather he have a tiny slice of liver and ton of potatoes and corn, than try and impose my likes on him.

Some people think my kids are WEIRD...sometimes that includes me thinking they're weird...
gig.gif
They LOVE there veggies. They will fight over the brussel sprouts and asparagus. They even fight over eggplant, beets(now that they like them), and cabbage. They are big salad eatters. We butcher our own pigs, chickens and sheep. They love eatting our own meat. Fish has its moments as to wether they like it or not-depends on the kind and if it's broiled or not.
When I was a kid I HATED baked beans. I remember being held down and force feed them.
hit.gif
Now I still dont' like them, but I can handle eatting a few.
I will not make a substitue meal/food for them for supper. If we are having maybe chicken strips and fish sticks I will let them pick which they want. Other than that they need to eat what they are given.
They never liked beets before, but when I would make mashed potatoes I would blend beets into them. They just thought they were having 'pink' potatoes. Little did they know that they were also getting beets. Hubby even feel for this one...
Our youngest daughter loves plain bread with either mayo, or ketcup and mustard. A little weird I know, but if that's what she wants for an afternoon snack, she can have it.
I personally can not stave venison-now my kids and husband will devour it whenever it's in front of them. I will cook it, but not eat it. I will eat what ever else is presented. Now saying that, if my kids completely don't like something I don't force them to eat it. They can eat the other food made with the meal. If it's something new-they have to try it. I purposly will give them a little smaller portion of the new food to try. Pretty soon they have tried it all and like it and want more. My kids are almost 13, 7 and almost 36(yes that is my husband).
Sometimes the little portions are the trick..haahha

How do kids get to be such picky eaters-no judging, just curious? Does anyone feel its because they limited foods as baby/toddler? My 2yo dd is choosy about veggies (doesn't like lettuce, and balks at green things), and doesn't eat "hard" friuts such as apples (though cook them and she loves them). I gave her a wide variety of foods as a baby, and she is a really good eater now. She has her quirks about eating, but they don't bother me.

I grew up in a clean your plate family, and I had a real problem with certain types of food. I was very sensitive to food textures and would throw up. Throw up, eat more, throw up again or stare at your food until bedtime. What a lovely thing to teach a child. Kids also have more sensitive taste buds than adults, so foods taste different to them than to adults. Some people are also supertasters, and have many more tastebuds than average. Supertasters are likely to be very picky eaters.

Now I eat almost everything, but I'm 70 pounds over weight and have an anorexic mother. I think control issues with food should be avoided.

My kids are 7 and 10. The ten year old eats everything (o god, does he ever eat) and the seven year old is somewhat fussy. We have a three bites rule, you must try everything, three bites worth. You must also eat what you take, so the kids are encouraged to serve themselves small amounts and take more if necessary. If my little one doesn't want to eat, he doesn't have to, but he only gets one glass of milk with dinner, and he has to eat before he drinks all his milk. He also doesn't get anything later. He would also be allowed to have casserole items served as individual items (he has out grown that stage). If I prepare spicy food, I don't expect the kids to eat it, so I will fix a sandwich or something simple for them.

If a child makes a choice not to eat, then you have to keep your position. They should be allowed that choice, but you should not have to comprimise your position. If you are going out and you feel that there won't be something for your child to eat, give them something simple beforehand...friut or a sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom