Do you mix oyster shell in with the feed, or do you offer it separate?

I put oyster shell out once because I didn't want to start layer feed yet as my turkeys were still too young. My turks ate all the oyster shell!
barnie.gif
I have since switched to layer feed, but have not placed the oyster shell out yet. I am getting very sturdy shells on the eggs. I was getting sturdy shells even w/ developer. Do I really need oyster shell? I free range as much as possible, but winter is coming.

i used to mix oyster shell in with the feed, but the eggs were so hard to crack i would end up breaking the yolks just trying to get in the skillet. since i free range my 5-6 hours everyday, i don't think they need it.

I have a 2 compartment bowl from TSC, that I have screwed to side of coop. Grit on one side / Oyster shells on other side.. It was $4.95 and reccomended by another BYC member.

I t gives themenough free choice.

I do keep it seperate for the most part. I have a small container that I've attached to the wall of their coop. Their normal feed is in the middle. I've not had any soft shells yet! (fingers crossed). I've also, from time to time (like twice a month), mixed the shells in with the feed. Not sure if this is OK, but my eggs are great so far! And happy Chickens too
smile.png

I put it in a seperate open dish and it's a free choice. However I do mix in scratch in with my pellets right now because of the cold. My small coop the chickens don't go out side right now.

I put mine in one of those galvanized round pans found at walmart in the pet section too. I mix my oyster shells with grit this time of year since they refuse to free range when it's -30 and are locked up tight in the garage. During the warmer months when they free range I offer just oyster shells which they never end up eating. I do find they like to take dust baths in the grit/ oystershell pan
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom