Do you name your birds?

B40chick

Songster
May 23, 2020
Southwest Georgia, USA
I am sure big flock owners probably don't. My original 5, I named. When I got 5 Bovan Brown hens, there is only one colored differently, which makes it easy to identify her. The other four look so much alike. Do any of you do something like a tag or whatever to determine who is who?

I try and name mine to know the individual, i also mark them so I know there breeding for when I make my breedings. I’m a private breeder and don’t sell but do gift them to friends

I give my chickens food names, as a reminder that no matter how much we enjoy them and care for them the ultimate destination of a chicken is the dinner table whether as a young cockerel or a retired laying hen.

The new chicks are Omelet, Dumpling, Teriyaki, Cordon, Popcorn, Piccata, and Chipotle (we lost Spicy 2 days after bringing them home from the farm store -- probably to shipping stress).

I am sure big flock owners probably don't. My original 5, I named. When I got 5 Bovan Brown hens, there is only one colored differently, which makes it easy to identify her. The other four look so much alike. Do any of you do something like a tag or whatever to determine who is who?
We have about 25 chickens, roosters, turkeys, geese, ducks, etc. and then about 100 meat chicken. All our animals on our farm are named except for the meat chickens. lol

Yes we did we have 15 total . Annie and blue were our first couple then we got snowie and ariel ,princess ,queen B, zombie, king, ruby, diamond, lucy, miss mary-mack, rosie, indy500 chicken, onyx. They all have there own details and that is how they got there names.

We name by breed. All RIR's are Rosie and all Light Brahma's are Linda. Buffy is a Buff Orpington and a singlet. We do put zip ties on the legs. Year goes on left leg, so everyone has a blue (2020's color). Right leg can be red, green or yellow. That is how we identify. In essence, we have Red Rosie, Green Rosie, Yellow Rosie, Red Linda, Yellow Linda and Buffy.

I have learned that feathers can change. I named Flo (from Progressive) because she was all white but had a couple of gray feathers in her left wing. Well, low and behold, she dropped the gray feathers and now she looks a lot like Cracker, my most pure white Leghorn. So I have to find other identifiers. These Bovan Browns look so much alike. Only one has lighter more solidly toned feathers. She is Sandy. The other four have darker feathers with white speckling throughout.

Absolutely! I have 30 chickens, multiple breeds and they each have a name. My flock is my feathered family. They live on my farm until they pass away naturally.

Back
Top Bottom