Do you or a family member have acid reflux? I have questions

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Ol'FashionHen, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    My DH has recently been diagnosed with acid reflux and has some erosion in his esophagus. My question is...is it normal or possible to have burning in your shoulders and arms possibly a sore feeling in them too. He keeps complaining about it and I was just wondering if it is normal or what. Doc said it could cause it , I was just wondering if any of my BYC buds have had any of the same or has a family member with maybe the same problems?

2. I have GERD, tried every medicine on the market, My doctor finally sent me for a colonalospy( spelling) , he said I have diverticulitis, and IBS so i still take previcid, alka seltzer, and can't eat red meat over once a week. The worst thing for me is being so tired, but My body is 72 and my mind is 27. Hang in there and keep trying. a good hot shower sometimes helps, good luck marrie [​IMG]

3. Ol'FashionHen

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Thanks Marie, They put my Dh on Protonix and pepcin for the reflux, said his colonoscopy results are great no polumps just two small hemroids [​IMG]. The meds have helped with the burning in chest and such he just says his arms and shoulders fell sore mostly.

4. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I would kinda worry about burning and pain in arms......he been checked with his heart lately?......acid reflux can mimic heart problems and heart problems can mimic acid reflux....jmo....not a doc here....my husband had reflux so bad they his stomach hurt so bad he could not stand up.....everybody is different

5. buckeye lady

buckeye lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Rootstown Ohio
    Yes this could be caused by the ulcerations in the esophagus. The esophagus can also spasm and cause severe pain at times . I am assuming that your Dr. ruled out any cardiac issues?

6. FrChuckW

FrChuckW Father to all, Dad to none

Sep 7, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    I suffer from acid reflux, amongst other medical problems. The last time I had the colonoscopy procedure, the Dr. decided to do both the upper and lower procedures. They discovered I had some erosion of the esophogus as well as some polyps in the colon. I was originally taking rantinidine but they changed me over to another drug due to the erosion problem.

As to the pain in the shoulders and chest area and general tiredness. That is typical of the disease. Get some multiple vitamins to help with the tiredness problem, once the body starts to heal, the energy level will increase and the pain in the shoulders will decrease.

However, I would also check with the Dr. as to possible heart conditions. As my cardiologist informed me, most men in their 40's, 50's and older eventually develop some form of heart murmur. In my case I not only have the murmur, but also a prolapse mitriol valve, and have had two heart attacks.

Some of the things you have to do is restrict fryed foods in the diet as this can irritate and cause a flare up of the symptoms. Baked, Broiled or Boiled is fine as these methods help cut the fat content of foods. Especially if you have had your gall bladder removed.

I am no doctor, this is based on my own experience in dealing with the disease, but a thorough check-up wouldn't hurt.

7. Ol'FashionHen

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Thank you sooo much, I really appreciate all your help guys, they did take some chest x-rays and ekg, ecg those type of test to rule out any heart problems and several blood test as well. The docs said all test came back great. Bless you all for your kindess.

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I have acid reflux..

I have a suggestion for you.. watch how your hubby sits in his favorite chair.. I will bet you it is a recliner.

a semi reclined position is very bad..

I made my symptoms go away simply by switching to an upright position..

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i took all the tests and my hiatal hernia, which caused my reflux, was never found because it grew linearly.

it was HUGE!

i did have pain in between the shoulder blades, which is very typical, as the acid penetrates and aggravates.

there are many helps for reflux and gerd, also many triggers. soda, beer, wine and chocolate are some of the common triggers.

as posted above, the sleeping and resting positions of the body are critical to management.

prayers going up, Ol'FashionHen, for your DH! [​IMG]

10. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I believe it is quite common for the pain to appear in places you wouldn't think was related. I get pains in my sides, shoulder blades, stomach etc with mine. I find putting a couple of books under the top legs of the bed to elevate my sleeping position helps also. Generally my meds keep it under control though. I wish your husband all the best. I know how painful this can be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by