do you pity your lowest chicken?

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
Everyone picks on my super sweet BR. But she is my favorite!! She's the only one who still completely collapses in my arms when I pick her up and she stil makes cute baby cooes to me - I just love her. Idk where this puts me in the flock but I always make sure to personally hand her the treat- otherwise she might not get any and she gets the most cuddles from me. <3 <3 <3

Am I the only one who loves their lowest? (is there a better term for that?)

89426_img01258-20110705-1310.jpg

I have 5 who are at the bottom of the pecking order. They are the last two sets I got, two weeks after the original 10, I got 3 EE, two weeks later I got 2 Light Brahmas. I merged the 3 & 2 together right away & they bonded in the brooder. But the older 10 were already out in the coop by this time. So when it was time to let the little ones out, I had to put up a separating fencing, so the big girls would not pick on the little ones. After 2 weeks, I left an opening, so the little ones could venture out, which they didn't. lol.

My Light Brahmas are now as big as my BO, and there is a months difference in age. My EE are still in the Juvie stage, but my BO are the bullies & will still chase or peck at the younger 5. But so far, no blood or pulled feathers, the younger 5 know to keep their distance, and all sleep together in a huddle, even on the roost. But my younger 5 like the water, so when I hose down the run, they come racing over for a spritz. Even when they get to free range, they stay in or close to the run area.

Rudi is the smallest of 8. She has yet to lay an egg even @ 6 months. She never eats treats because she's so shy. She's also the cutest.
80433_7-17-11.jpg

Yes I pity my lowest T_T
Poor Mr. Bo-Bo
He is a cochin rooster, and he gets picked on by everyone except for his one single lady Nilly.
Its so sad T_T

NO, you are not alone!!!

I have three hens and my BO is at the bottom of the pecking order. It breaks my heart to see the other two always together foraging and playing together and the BO off by herself. What really gets me is when they peck at her to drive her away from getting treats. I always pick her up and hand feed her treats or take her out of the run and let her help herself to the meal worm farm. She is my love bug and I just love her to pieces.

We're getting ready to go on vacation and it worries me sick that they might really turn on her while I'm away. And I can't ask the chicken sitter to baby her like I do. UGH, makes me sick to think about it.

I keep trying to tell myself that she has it SOOOOO much better than most chickens. And they rarely draw blood. A few times they nipped her comb. But no feather pulling or anything like that.

As soon as my baby goes broody, I'm going to pick up one or two more BO chicks and let her raise them. I'm going to cross my fingers that they really bond and that she'll have some buddies to hang with. And maybe her protective mama hen will come out and defend them.

I have tried using a spray bottle on the others when they peck. Unfortunately, it tends to frighten all three of them.

If I give out treats, I pull her aside or I stay with the three right at the treat bowl and they tend not to pick on her if I'm right there. I think they've learned that I'll drive them away. And I also take her outside the run to give her treats. But I've always worried that they'll pick on her more for being the spoiled one.

So no, you are not alone.

I make different piles of treats on the ground(I feed them a cup of treats a day), and then I stand at the last pile and let the lowest 3(sisters) eat from it. The bullies won't bother them as long as I'm standing there.

Morse Code was always a loner. Never causes a problem. Never a trouble maker, she has a unique personality.

57171_dscn1823.jpg

57171_100_1463.jpg

57171_100_1698.jpg

57171_img_3877.jpg

57171_img_1273.jpg

57171_img_1679.jpg

Back
Top Bottom