Do you play music for you chickens? If so what kind?

Outer Banksters

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
I recently moved my girls to their out side home and I was doing some work in the yard and put on some music. The chickens immediately ran over to where I had my phone (where the music was coming from) and started clucking/peeping enthusiastically. Anyone else experienced this? I play music whenever I work in the yard and they really seem to enjoy it and I'm thinking about rigging up a little radio for them. Does anyone else play music for their chickens?:idunno

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
Don't play that 'old time rock and roll' - they'll lay scrambled eggs.
roll.png
Some people feel that a radio playing will serve as a predator deterrent.

Believe it or not, my chickens love mandolin music! My husband used to play for them when they were babies (and living in our dining room in an old rabbit hutch). They now live outside in their coop (of course) and free range by day, so when my husband goes outside with his mandolin, they run up to him to hear him play! They are pretty darn adorable listening to the mandolin music!

my chickens get music from day one...i leave it on in shop loud and now that they are in coop they still here it and it does help keep the predators away...i play all kinds and they dont care what it is..i know they like it...jeff

Some people feel that a radio playing will serve as a predator deterrent.

I don't know so much that music does, but I have used a radio tuned to talk radio and I can confirm it has worked well for me over the years to help keep most stray animals out of insecure buildings... Hardly fool proof and I wouldn't depend on it to keep predators out but it's a cheap safety net...

Believe it or not, my chickens love mandolin music! My husband used to play for them when they were babies (and living in our dining room in an old rabbit hutch). They now live outside in their coop (of course) and free range by day, so when my husband goes outside with his mandolin, they run up to him to hear him play! They are pretty darn adorable listening to the mandolin music!

my chickens get music from day one...i leave it on in shop loud and now that they are in coop they still here it and it does help keep the predators away...i play all kinds and they dont care what it is..i know they like it...jeff
that settles it then...the chickens shall have music...and I would love an audience when i practice guitar...predators are also an issue so that will help...music for the win!

Last edited:
Reviving this old thread, because I've been playing music for my chicks too! They have been brooding in my office and I was worried about how scared they were whenever I spoke. So I had a thought to leave the radio on in hopes to desensitize them. I leave it on low at night, and it seems to keep everybody nice and quiet.

Now they come running when I say hello, treats or not, and we sit together for some lovely acoustic time.
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom