1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

do you prefer Cackle or McMurray? Help Me!!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Taylor, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Taylor

Taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    I have to order chicks this week! but have no idea where from or what breeds. who do you perfer and what breeds, please help me decide, and post any pics too!

2. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I got the brown egg layer assortment last year from MM and they were sexed properly, only one dead in the first few day, and are healthy a year later. I like to get an assortment, I like seeing the different colors of the eggs. I haven't used cackle or any other hatchery but have used MM about 4 times in 10 years.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    beware of MM. for some reason, they are now allowed to ship only on fridays, which means your birds sit over the weekend who knows where, and then get to your po on Monday. for this reason and until i hear for certain otherwise, i will never order from MM.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I ordered from MM this year. I called my PO to give them a heads up; they assured me the chicks would not be delivered to the PO on a Sunday because there is only cold storage drop off; so no chicks on Sunday to worry about. The PO called us on Sunday! Surprise:D[​IMG][​IMG]e! The main distribution center that is. We could pick up today or wait until Monday for pick up at our local PO. DH drove 30 min to the main distribution center. He said there were boxes and boxes of chicks, all safe and cozy. The PO seems to do its best to protect the chicks.

When I called MM to get a hatch date, it was Saturday.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. F50myster

F50myster Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Central Coast
    get Murray mcmurray!! i ordered 25 rainbow layer special and all 25 are still alive only 3 weeks old. shipped pn sunday andd recieved monday

6. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

Cackle has a special that ends tomorrow or the next day-- 25 feather footed bantams for $53 or so. Man I really wanted to order, but I'd already ordered from Estes Hatchery who still had the Salmon Favorelles and Speckled Sussex pullets I wanted. I get them March 8th or 9th. Ordered them online and got an e-mail with the ship date the next day.

7. timowaltz

timowaltz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2011
    I prefer cackle dude:)

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
  9. Thomasturkey

Thomasturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    I will never order from MM again. They ship on Fridays and our post office is closed on Sunday. Twice over 25 out of 50, chicks where dead on arrival. I bought 35 Houdan. Only 11 lived after two shipments. Two are pictured below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. shchinchillas

shchinchillas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    PA
    We had good luck with Cackle last year. I just placed another order with them last night so we'll see how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by