Do you put eggs in cartons for lockdown or let them roll freely????

Jimmiaandboys

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 13, 2009
Bennington County, VT
I'm a novice/newbie w/ only 3 hatches behind me, the 1st being a disaster. I've read on here that some put their eggs in egg crates for lockdown/hatch. I imagine that containing the mess is one of the pros, are there more reasons? What are the cons?

Lockdown is on Wed. and I wonder if crates are the way to go.

Pls. let me know your thoughts and experiences!

Thanks,
Mia

I have done both, eggs rolling freely and eggs in cartons, with equal amount of success. I have had shipped eggs with jagged air cells and they seem to hatch better in the carton. If you do put yours in a carton, cut the bottoms out of the "cups", this will allow better air flow for the eggs.

I tried both.
My first ever hatching was local eggs (bantams) and I used paper egg carton.
I did lockdown 14 eggs and 10 of them hatched.
Using egg carton prevents big mess up, it's easy to catch dirty things.
My second hatching is going on now, due date is today and I locked down 14 eggs (black copper marans) and 8 of them hatched and 2 of them have pips.
This time, I just put 14 eggs on the wire floor, because I didn't have egg carton
smile.png

Well, I see there are much poop on the wire floor, chicks are rolling the other unhatched eggs here and there.
I think I will use egg carton again next time!
smile.png

p.s... I didn't cut off the bottom of egg carton for ventilation and they were hatching ok.

I used cartons for the most part with my first (only) hatch. One egg that pipped before lock down had the pip towards the wrong end so I left it on its side and put the rest in cartons that were cut down like JenEric said.

My chicks mostly hatched early and did great in the carton. The cartons contained the worst of the mess and kept the hatched chicks from playing egg soccer with their slower to hatch siblings. I've had 22/24 hatch so far and am waiting another day or two for the last ones since they weren't due until tomorrow anyhow.

Another thing I did that worked out really well was to put some shelf liner down over the wire when I started lock down. Even with a bunch of chicks flopping around nobody's legs got stuck and the liner caught most of the mess that escaped the cartons.

Sweet.. I am so doing the shelf liner... thanks for the tip.. . I imagine meat wrapping paper would work as well!!!

JUST GUESSING...........
idunno.gif

BUT, I think the "meat-wrapping" paper would be too slick, much like wax paper. I wouldn't use it. I suspect that it MIGHT casuse "spraddle-leg" in the baby chicks.

my suspicions,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Ive done both and regardless its kind of a gross mess either way. Right now i have pipping going on and forgot to put in the carton on lockdown day. I had one of "those" moments, but ive dont it both was and i really honestly dont have a favorite. I've never done the whole shelf liner thing though, but ive heard about it. BUT NO SLICK PAPER IN THERE!! they need their footing other wise BAD very BAD things could happen

I had them in cartons during incubation and laid them on the wire floor during hatch. Got 9 out of 10, but I didn't like the way the chicks knock the eggs around. I am thinking that next time I will make a little grid out of cardboard and put each egg in its own compartment. I'll make it so there is a little space around each egg so no chickies will get stuck anywhere, but they won't be able to roll the eggs too far.

Back
Top Bottom