Do you put up bird feeders in the winter?

Do you put up bird feeders in the winter?

• Yep.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • All-year-round

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • who would do that?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • addicted to feeding wild birds

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
I read in a few places that wild birds could make my chickens sick, so I stopped feeding them. Hkw do you balance the enjoyment of feeding birds with the disease they may carry? I'd love to start feeding again!
By the way, my chickens ran off a poor robin that made the mistake of landing in the yard. . .

I read in a few places that wild birds could make my chickens sick, so I stopped feeding them. Hkw do you balance the enjoyment of feeding birds with the disease they may carry? I'd love to start feeding again!
By the way, my chickens ran off a poor robin that made the mistake of landing in the yard. . .
My chickens are in my backyard, while my feeders are in the front yard, that's how I'm able to feed the wild birds-- the yards are far apart, since I live in the country. Poor robin.

Last edited:
No no would never encourage wild birds to be anywhere near my yard. They carry parasites and other diseases that could effect your whole flock. Bad idea.

I live in the country, surrounded by farm fields and farmers' groves. There are wild birds EVERYWHERE. I couldn't eliminate them all if I tried.

I keep the poultry to the north of the house, and feed the wild things to the south. I have a salvaged swing set and hang feeders where all the swings used to be hooked in. A love seeing the migratory species in the spring and fall. I also have feeders in my walnut trees and one in the front yard as well as four bird baths.

Apparently, I believe in overdoing everything I do, not just poultry.

Back
Top Bottom