Do you recommend these treat nets?

I'm also ordering some adorable feeders.
Screenshot 2022-09-05 1.35.15 PM.png

Do they rust? where does it hang from?
They don't rust because they're stainless steel. You hang them from the top of the coop with rope or bungie cords that have hooks on the end. I have a modified green house and hang them from one of the cross beams - they're not heavy even with veggies. Chickens love pecking at them! They'll reach across off from a roost, or fly up from the ground to grab bits of food off the skewers. Apples, banana peppers, and tomatoes and cucumbers work well so far.

Suet cages work for anything flock block size and smaller. Honestly if it's just vegetables, throwing them on the ground is faster and removes all risk of chickens injuring themselves on a holder.

A l
They don't rust because they're stainless steel. You hang them from the top of the coop with rope or bungie cords that have hooks on the end. I have a modified green house and hang them from one of the cross beams - they're not heavy even with veggies. Chickens love pecking at them! They'll reach across off from a roost, or fly up from the ground to grab bits of food off the skewers. Apples, banana peppers, and tomatoes and cucumbers work well so far.
A little of topic but do greenhouses work for chicken coops? I'm looking at different options for our new coop. Is it very safe? Is it plastic or glass? Could I please see a picture? How many chickens fit? Can you add wheels and move it even if you have underneath wire? I have 15 medium, 1 large, and 2 seramas chickens.. So sorry for all the questions, I think a greenhouse is a great idea. Thanks so much.

Last edited:
chi A l

A little of topic but do greenhouses work for chicken coops? I'm looking at different options for our new coop. Is it very safe? Is it plastic or glass? Could I please see a picture? How many chickens fit? Can you add wheels and move it even if you have underneath wire? I have 15 medium, 1 large, and 2 seramas chickens.. So sorry for all the questions, I think a greenhouse is a great idea. Thanks so much.
More of a greenhouse frame with hardware mesh all over it, with a 3 ft apron all around. Permanent installation, with a tarp covering the whole thing, edges out for air flow. Me and the chickens love the large footprint and the vertical space but it was a bear to build. If I had to do it again I might do hoop coops with cattle panels, also I have two large dog runs out of chainlink that I'm planning to attach hardware cloth to as another connected permanent installation when I have time. I have 17 chickens in a 10x20 ft green house frame. The recommendations are 10 sq ft per chicken, but I think that's a bit small when they stay in the enclosed run all day and you have standard or large size chickens. I have a RIR mix rooster who's 10-12 lbs already at 6 months old, some BOs, ISA Browns, Prairie Bluebells and starlight green eggers. Cluttered runs are important, and they get bored without enough to do. My enclosed run doubles as a coop also right now, so 200 sq ft is all the space they have.

If the hoop coop is small enough and light enough it can be portable, if you do the wheels right. Do a search on here for that. I don't have enough flat grassy land for that to be a good idea where I live.

My coop adventure is in the following thread. I had a severe case of chicken math. At one point we had 19 chickens, but rehomed two of them. 16 laying hens and 1 rooster is the most I'd really put in the 10x20 coop/run. The PBB are super active, and they need all the space, and the SGE are a little high strung also. If I had calmer chickens, I might have a few more. Recently we did an integration by diving the run in half (10ftx10 ft sections) with chicken wire and metal fence posts, and a portable gate panel. It worked pretty well, and I'm glad I had the space. 9 chickens on one side, 10 on the other, and ten was pushing it. Slightly better after I rehomed two of the 10.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-the-chickens-now-i-need-a-coop-please-help.1519455/

Attachments

• 20220529_081142.jpg
    20220529_081142.jpg
    708.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220529_081129.jpg
    20220529_081129.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220529_081003.jpg
    20220529_081003.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220529_080936_HDR.jpg
    20220529_080936_HDR.jpg
    711.2 KB · Views: 3
More of a greenhouse frame with hardware mesh all over it, with a 3 ft apron all around. Permanent installation, with a tarp covering the whole thing, edges out for air flow. Me and the chickens love the large footprint and the vertical space but it was a bear to build. If I had to do it again I might do hoop coops with cattle panels, also I have two large dog runs out of chainlink that I'm planning to attach hardware cloth to as another connected permanent installation when I have time. I have 17 chickens in a 10x20 ft green house frame. The recommendations are 10 sq ft per chicken, but I think that's a bit small when they stay in the enclosed run all day and you have standard or large size chickens. I have a RIR mix rooster who's 10-12 lbs already at 6 months old, some BOs, ISA Browns, Prairie Bluebells and starlight green eggers. Cluttered runs are important, and they get bored without enough to do. My enclosed run doubles as a coop also right now, so 200 sq ft is all the space they have.

If the hoop coop is small enough and light enough it can be portable, if you do the wheels right. Do a search on here for that. I don't have enough flat grassy land for that to be a good idea where I live.

My coop adventure is in the following thread. I had a severe case of chicken math. At one point we had 19 chickens, but rehomed two of them. 16 laying hens and 1 rooster is the most I'd really put in the 10x20 coop/run. The PBB are super active, and they need all the space, and the SGE are a little high strung also. If I had calmer chickens, I might have a few more. Recently we did an integration by diving the run in half (10ftx10 ft sections) with chicken wire and metal fence posts, and a portable gate panel. It worked pretty well, and I'm glad I had the space. 9 chickens on one side, 10 on the other, and ten was pushing it. Slightly better after I rehomed two of the 10.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-the-chickens-now-i-need-a-coop-please-help.1519455/
Thanks! My chickens formerly free-range hate being in their coops, but we had one get killed by an Osprey so I'm scared to let them free-range. Even with a 12lb barred rock rooster and a serama rooster. The coop we have now is pretty small and I don't want them in it any longer than an hour. What I'm thinking is a huge run in our pasture, with underground wire, and SAFE overhead netting. I don't think our previous coop was tall enough ( 3-4 feet) which is why the chicken jumped. I plan to have this coop be at least 6 feet. And a hoop house or shed modified safely for them to sleep in. Thanks so much.

Back
Top Bottom