Do you refridgerate before freezing??

momto2

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Northern Maine
We are butchering 23 jumbo cornish x rocks this weekend. This is our first time. Should we refrigerate them before we freeze them(whole bird).?

We always let our meat rest for a day or so before freezing. It doesn't matter if its deer, pork, rabbit or chickens. Thats just what we do. Everyone does it different. I'm sure some others will read this and post.

We did a bit of a taste test on our cornish X birds that we just processed. I found that the ones who were rested for two days in the fridge before cooking were much more tender than the ones cooked fresh.

We cool our down with ice and then freeze them.

ETA:Mine always come out tender and juicy and very yummy.

Last edited:
I don't process my own.We do batches and send them to a processor.I know that once they are cleaned they are put in a ice water bath for and hour or so while he cleans up,then he bags them and freezes them.I pick them up the next day frozen solid.
Will

we have done both and letting them set a day makes them so much more tender. Also, let them warm up a little before cooking, dont cook cold, it makes them more tender that way, and after cooking dont cut the meat for several minutes, if you cut them right a way they loose some juice, if you wait the juice stays in the meat. This is what works for us.
smile.png

We use Ice water for 48 hours, because that is what I was taught some 40 years ago. And when I did hunt years ago my meat seemed a lot more tender then every one elses.

But most likely that it is a very subjective opion since it was "My Meat".

Tom

Back
Top Bottom