Do you remember all your past chickens years later?

I'm just wondering to any byc members that have raised chickens, after many years have gone by and maybe you keep a smaller flock, do you remember your chickens years later? What do you remeber about them after years have passed?
I remember every chicken, every single one has and or had a name. My family’s flock consists of 50+.

Out of all the 50+ I only had about five or six that I loved deeply. I have two out of those six left,
Ezzy my sweet red sex link Easter Egger cross roo, and his daughter Freya. :love I will never forget them, the ones that passed.

I remember some of the first chickens I had what I now know was a partridge cochin rooster a black silkie rooster named general Patton two favorolles watermelon and cantaloupe watermelon wasn't as sweet as canteloupe though but they started my addiction
i know there were more but those were my favorites

I remember a some of the ones who have passed better than others (I raise quite a few chickens, and of course some of them mean more to me than others).

One little Buff Orpington was my favorite at one time. Her name was Snickers. A cute and friendly little thing. She would even follow me up the stairs in my house! And could walk out the door when I opened it. ❤

Another one I remember is Bubbles, one of my first chickens. She went missing one day and never returned. I still don't know what happened to her.

I'm sure if I thought about it for a while, I could recall all their names. So, yes, I most definitely remember them all.
My most missed is my dear Red, sole survior of back to back dog attacks that claimed the entire first flock. We still talk about her sometimes, she was a bit of a legend. A very people-friendly and personable RIR, she took zero nonsense from any other creature residing on our property (while somehow never being a bully). She was simply queen.
In our first years, we had many neighborhood dog incursions, and she had this incredible ability to just dissappear when trouble was about (still have no clue where she went) and then turn up an hour or two later looking indignant over the inconvenience.
She also loved to be petted... but only on her chest and cheeks, failure to comply with her known preferences would result in a reminder peck or her fluffing up and stomping away.
Once, upon finding a snake in her nest box, she started laying on our front door mat. I would have been fine with it, but she always seemed to start an egg song just as I was putting the baby down for a nap.
Sure do miss her though.
RIP Red

Last edited:
I remember as a kid a small game bantam we had she came with us thru 3 house shifts and hatched hundreds of chickens in her lifetime.... us kids named her Titchy Mama because she was a fearsome broody! At 6 weeks on the dot she would ditch the chicks and become everyone's friend again. I don't know her exact age when she died but she must have been about 12 years old.
She will always be remembered

I remember every chicken, every single one has and or had a name. My family’s flock consists of 50+.

Out of all the 50+ I only had about five or six that I loved deeply. I have two out of those six left,
Ezzy my sweet red sex link Easter Egger cross roo, and his daughter Freya. :love I will never forget them, the ones that passed.

Wow I never name even a single chicken, but I definitely feel connected to them. I recently had to kill 10 full grown adult roosters, and it impacts me. I remember them all since I started 2 years ago. I hope I never forget any of them.

The chicken I remember would be a very old chicken now, if she was still alive.

The first time we hatched chicks (When I was 3 or 4, so a while ago) Mum let me and my friend hold it while it hatched. Yes, a very big mistake and I feel terrible about it now. Anyway, by the time is hatched it was looking sick and stuff, like it would die. So, my Mum said me and my friend could make it some 'medicine' to help it, because she knew there was no way this thing would live. So we did, it had glitter and water and stuff in it. So the chick was fed the 'medicine.' It lived. She lived for 3 or 4 years until we sold our whole flock and moved. She was always the chicken who hide eggs and hatched chicks secretly.
All I remember now, it that she was a grey Silkie.

Three of my first four hens were killed by a mink that sneaked into the coop. Mia was a beautiful Sicilian Buttercup, Samantha was a Plymouth Barred Rock, and Ginger Rogers was a Rhode Island Red.

Ginger Rogers was a dancing machine. She would scratch everywhere all the time. When I went out to the coop after the carnage, she -- always a gentle and slightly shy girl -- was hiding in the corner under a nest box. I cried over all three of them.

Lady Emma and Lady Louise were Iowa Blues. The former was killed by buffalo gnats, the latter from a tumor. Lady Louise's two daughters are still with me.

Vanna, one of my Sapphire Gems, died just over a year ago. My livestock vet apparently did not know what he was doing and likely caused more harm than good. Thank goodness, my poultry vet is once again available.

Back
Top Bottom