capebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Cape Cod
I was reading how mice can be attracted to the chicken's feed
and was curious if people remove the feed containers from their
runs in the evening and replace in the morning when the chicks
come out of the coop? My run is surrounded by 1/2 inch wire mesh...
but I'm sure mice could work their way into the run.

thanks.

Yes, besides mice, I figure the sight of it might make a hungry coon or skunk try that much harder to enter the run.

(fixed my error)

Last edited:
I removed the feed one night and the next morning, the girls wings had been chewed on. Reading other threads, it sounds as if it was caused by rats.

I'm only chicky sitting and it's a little frustrating all the problems I've had to deal with, but I'm currantly trying to track down some rat zappers. I don't want poisons, because there is no knowing who'll eat it. And I dont want snap traps, because there is no knowing who will get caught in them, including the chickens as they like to escape and go for a walk. When I do locate the zappers, I plan to leave them out only at night. I'll let you know how it goes.

Quote:
I remove mine every evening and put it back in the run in the morning with their morning treats.

X2
big_smile.png

Quote:
x2 We only keep the duck feed out, but they still eat the duck feed.
he.gif
We haven't had too many issues with critters. Our hound stays out by the coop at night. He's a good ol' boy!

I don't keep feed out in the run either, Only in the coop. Fresh veggies and fruit are fed out in the open yard or also in the coop. Mice are nuts for chicken feed.

Back
Top Bottom