Do you rinse out your waterers or wash with soap & water?

Algea is my problem. I use 1 gallon glass waterers with plastic bases. I use these because I can keep tract of how much they are drinking easier and they were FREE. There are alot of old poultry houses around here and this what was used before the autosystems. That makes all of these antiques, but most folks that have them just want them out of the way.

Anyways. It takes 2-4 days for a jar to empty. I carry water in jugs wipe the jars and bases out with my hand or a rough sponge. Every 2-3 weeks I take the waterers in for a good bleaching.

Matt

Quote:
I would love to have glass! Is there anywhere you know of where a girl could get some of these online?

FWIW, I put mine in the dishwasher at least once a week, except the 2 gal. galvanized ones. I scrub those at least once a week with a brush and soap. I rinse and refill daily.

I figure I don't need to add any likelihood of bacterial ingestion to the risks these girls already have, right? Besides, I like to take good care of my pets.

Last edited:
I rinse thoroughly every day and fill with clean water. Once a week I carry a big bucket of soapy water to the shed and wash then rinse every bottle. The worst thing I find to wash out is the slime that accumulates.

But, as it gets hotter this summer, I may revise that system to soapy water twice a week.

I rinse daily until they look like they need cleaned. Then, I scrub out, rinse, spray with Oxine solution to disinfect, rinse that off, and fill. I don't stick to a certain schedule on this, just clean when they need it, and rinse otherwise.

Like many others have already mentioned, there is nothing hard and fast, just some attention and intuition!

I rinse the water out twice a day, refill with fresh cold water. They usually drink alot right away, just like I do when my water is fresh and cold. It's a nice feeling to be refreshed! I think my chickens appreciate it.

I do clean the plastic waterers (2 of them) every other day with a quick soap and water wash and then replenish with water. No bleach, I don't use it in my home at all. I use ACV in their water as well...

Back
Top Bottom