Do you rinse out your waterers or wash with soap & water?

I actually keep a squirt bottle of bleach/water mix right at my sink--when I open, I spray inside and on the base and scrub quickly with a long brush--that mold can grow really quickly, especially in warmer temps! I do it every day in the summer and warm weather and every other day in fall and winter!
smile.png

I was wondering the same thing. Thank you.

What about when we build that big waterer from buckets (my sons are doing that right now) and they are filled weekly. Does mold grow that quickly?

I've never seen mold in our waterers. Just random things that the birds might scratch into the water.

Some people put a little apple cider vinegar in the water to prevent algae from growing. I've never had algae grow in our waterer either, though. I have however started using vinegar because it is supposed to be healthy for the birds.

We only rinse our waterers out with fresh water. Every couple of days when we refill them.

During the week, I rinse out the waterers and scrub the insides to get the gunk out.

But on the weekends, when we clean the pen, I wash all the waterers and feeders with soapy water.

Mine get washed when they look like it's time to wash them. Other than that we just rinse and refill. I add apple cider vinegar to the water when we refill it.
smile.png

I change the baby chicks water everyday and clean them out everyday. With my older hens, i change the water everyday and use soap to clean it 2 - 3 times a week.
frow.gif

When they were chicks I washed them. Now I change the water twice a day so nothing sits in them very long. I make sure there is fresh water every night so I don't have to change it first thing in the morning 6:30am

Back
Top Bottom