Do you sell feathers? Question....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Egg Rookie 2010, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I have a roo who has attacked one too many times. He has exquisite hackle feathers I think we could sell/use for fly tying. HOW do you cull a bird without ruining these feathers? And do you have any tips for catching a roo without injury?

2. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    I know the place where I get my hair down buys turkey feathers and sells them as hair accessories. People buy them too. We're talking 3 feathers for $24. Crazy.

3. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    I actually ran into an issue last year. I tie my own flies, and the tackle shop was OUT OF FEATHERS. This really hadn't ever happened before. He said he'd been slammed every day with different salons buying everything they could.

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Apparently the hot new thing for hair is.....rooster/pheasant feathers. My daughter has asked and I told her to stalk our Barred Rock until he drops the ones she want and then we'll talk.

5. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    Quote:I saw a news story on this, and it's a real problem for the fly fisherman who tie their own. Not a hair fad I've seen around here, but I guess in more urban areas. You probably could make a good amount off the feathers.

I'd use a towel or something else to help catch him, then once he's dispatched just skip the scald and carefully pluck, maybe with some tweezers?

6. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  7. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
  8. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Well this sounds promising however HOW do you kill the bird? The only way we know to do it it use an axe on the neck and that kinda ruins this whole feather selling idea....How can you do this without wrecking the body? Not wanting to be gruesome or anything but I need a little help.

9. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I would think that the most promising way to preserve the feathers would be killing cone and throat cutting. If you take the bird off the roost before they get out of the coop, you can catch them easily.

10. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    All the "country" girls around here are wearing those feathers in their hair. I'm not into fads like that. At the hair salons it cost $25 to get a feather in your hair. Really? Their dyed guinea and chicken feathers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by