Do you sell feathers? Question....

You need to skin the hackle area. Most places will buy the entire sheet of skin and pluck the feathers themselves. If you do decide to pluck on your own you must wait for the skin to dry completely. Then grab each feather individually as close to the base as possible and pluck it lightning fast.

Ive just been browsing Ebay...some are cheap and some are a fortune. Amazing. Hubby walked in and suddenly thinks he should go build a coop for a bachelor flock of day olds in the spring. WOW.

Well, I'm definitely a chicken newbie, so don't laugh, but the highest price saddles going on ebay are called "Grizzly" saddle feathers. Whiting seems to be the manufacturer. So, is Grizzly a breed? Or just what this distributor calls them?

Quote:
Grizzly feathers are black and white barred. Whiting farms has been developing their roosters for many generations to grow long saddle feathers that have no fluff at the base. You will not get that on your own and won't be able to sell your feathers for as much as they do.

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation! I noticed that some people were advertising "no fluff", and I wondered how you went about getting that. Now I get it. Still, $24 for 3 feathers attached to a hair clip? I think my roos should each donate a feather a week to help pay for feed for their girls!! LOL

Quote:
Thanks for the explanation! I noticed that some people were advertising "no fluff", and I wondered how you went about getting that. Now I get it. Still, $24 for 3 feathers attached to a hair clip? I think my roos should each donate a feather a week to help pay for feed for their girls!! LOL

I worked for a website that sold the hair feathers so I gained a plethora of knowledge regarding these things an whiting farms. I wish I had roosters too!

Last edited:
My aunt owns a hair salon and when she came out toi my place and saw my barred OE bantams she begged me to pluck my roos tail feathers out
smack.gif
, I told her I would collect the feathers they dropped in the yard and she could have them. Now I'm thinking we may have to trade out feathers for some hair services...
clap.gif

Quote:
I've got feathers all over the place, I guess I'll have to start collecting them now. I might even make some jewelry with them, it certainly seems they are in fashion now!

Back
Top Bottom