Do you sell your eggs for eating?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
If so, how much do you charge? What do you wash your eggs with?

I've been washing my eggs with oxine and I use fresh cartons bought from online(the misprint ones). We sell our eggs for $2.50 a dozen and I wonder if I'm under charging.

We only sell our extras and my husband brings them to his work to sell them. The eggs are sold as soon as he walks in the door since its first come first serve.

The nice thing about selling the eggs for eating is that it pays for our feed and extra grains(oats, wheat and sunflower seeds).

I just added more hens to my flock since the egg demand is so high.

Am I under charging my eggs? They are beautiful. Almost too pretty to eat.lol

I get $3 a dozen. A couple people told me I should charge more.
At one time I was packing jumbos separately and charging 4 for those.
Price depends on where you are. Some places they have trouble getting $2 other places they bring $4 or more. I live in the suburbs and nobody else around here sells eggs. There are a few people that I sell to but, like your situation, most of the ones I sell are those my wife takes to work. She can usually sell all our extras and it does cover feed most of the year.

Last edited:
I think it depends on your area. Check out the local prices in the farm and garden section of craigslist.

Here in my county and northern OH, brown eggs are $2.00 doz with the exception of the prices at the farmers markets where prices can get as high as $4.00. I sell mine for $2 and I'm hard pressed to meet the demand. My main avenue of selling is word of mouth and at my work, my fathers work, and mothers work. I don't advertise on Craig's anymore due to getting some rude phone calls telling me that they'll pay $1.50 a doz grr.

check craigslist and it will help you determine the going rate in your area. I charge 3 and sell all I have extra. I love to bake so I use lots. I charge 2 to my disabled neighbor. I would rather gift hers but she insists on paying. I don't wash unless there is visible dirt.

... I charge 2 to my disabled neighbor. I would rather gift hers but she insists on paying. I don't wash unless there is visible dirt.
I too only wash when it rains and the hens track mud into the nest.
My 3 closest neighbors get a dozen free occasionally. Two of them(along with lots more people) came to city council meetings with me make the case for an ordinance allowing me to keep my chickens. After 9 months of fighting city hall I got a permit for 85 chickens and 5 roosters.
wee.gif

Quote: I too only wash when it rains and the hens track mud into the nest.
My 3 closest neighbors get a dozen free occasionally. Two of them(along with lots more people) came to city council meetings with me make the case for an ordinance allowing me to keep my chickens. After 9 months of fighting city hall I got a permit for 85 chickens and 5 roosters.
wee.gif
Congrats on your victory! It's nice that I don't need to fight for a permit yet, but the laws can always change. I don't live on a farm, but I do live on agriculture land.:) I had two roosters for a while and they kept crowing back and fourth all day long.lol It was really funny and it drove my husband absolutely crazy. The chickens are mine and I had to let one go.

Here are the eggs I sell. :)

7ujysate.jpg

I bought jumbo sized cartons on accident, so the eggs look a little small.

Last edited:
I sell my eggs for eating, for $3.00 a dozen. I only get 5 eggs a day from my EE's right now but I should be getting almost 2 dozen a day when my flock grows up. I'm opening a stand at the local farmers market and am going to sell them for $4.00 a dozen there. :) the best part is I've almost weened my chickens off the layer feed and they're going completely free range. I haven't had a drop in production yet either.

I don't wash my eggs until before I sell them either. I heard that they keep better when unwashed. Once I do wash them off, I just use warm water and a rag.

I sell mine for $3.00/doz. I know some people in my area who get $4.00 but "out in the country" they only get $1.50. I have large to extra large brown eggs and after I give my mother the largest ones and we keep some, my aunt sells them at her job. Like the other posters, it just depends on what your area will pay. Your eggs are pretty
smile.png
I rinse mine off with cold water if they have anything on them and put them in the fridge. We had a lot of rain last month and everything had mud on it so I got in the habit of cleaning them off.

Last edited:
I'd like to sell for $3.00 a dozen. Just because I buy brand new cartons and use oxine to wash them.

I don't wash my eggs until the day I sell them. I never knew how easy it was selling eggs, especially since my husband does all the selling. I take care of the rest.

I'm think of adding another marans to my flock for egg color. Once my flock dies of old age, I'm switching to pure Ameraucana's and marans only. I think that would be a beautiful contrast. Blue and chocolate brown.

Here's what I have now.

2e4yqanu.jpg

vuguju6e.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom