1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

DO you sell your eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlebanty, Mar 13, 2008.

1. littlebanty

littlebanty Chillin' With My Peeps

I was over run with eggs and placed an ad online. SInce then...everyone has been calling me for eggs! $2.00 dozen. One guy today wiped me out! Everyone said that they would come back for more. Looks like I will need to get more chicks!

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I sell anywhere from 3-7 dozen a week. My girls pay for their own food. [​IMG]

3. littlebanty

Quote:Thats what I was hoping to do! I hope there isnt a law against regualrly selling eggs without being a business. I sold 4 1/2 dozen just this week alone! And more people want to buy.

4. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We usually end up giving ours away faster than we can sell them. A few teachers at local schools buy them every now and then, even though we don't ask for money! My mom gives them to family or we use them all ourselves.

5. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Quote:Thats what I was hoping to do! I hope there isnt a law against regualrly selling eggs without being a business. I sold 4 1/2 dozen just this week alone! And more people want to buy.

Where I live you can sell them off of your property without paying taxes on them. If I sold them off of my property I would have to charge sales tax and blaa blaa blaa.

6. littlebanty

Quote:Really? I have poeple burning up my phone and email box for eggs. I give them to family....but otherwise sell them.

7. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Where I live it is illegal to sell or trade eggs unless you are a poultry farm and all that goes with it.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I sell eggs to a few people down here in the city. I break even on feed with sales of eggs and meat birds.

9. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    With the ads and such I have a waiting list now. My next lady wants 3 doz by the end of next week. The girls are going to have to get some red pepper tomorrow to keep up!

10. bjcoop

bjcoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2007
    Western New York
    I sell my extras to a local health food store. They take as many as I can bring in--usually anywhere from 4-8 doz, depending on how they are laying and what we use for cooking.
    The hens are able to be treated a little more because they pay for their own extra goodies. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by