Do you slaughter your laying hens after 2-3 years, or are they pets for you?

I usually find someone who wants them after 2-3 years. Last ones went to free range on an alpaca farm, which must have been nice, as I don't free range here. Contrary to the other stories 2 Barred Rocks from my first group (25 years ago) that were the kid's pets lived to over 8 years old & still laid a couple eggs a week & had lights for egg production every winter.

I don't process the females. Every year I sell some of the females and most of the males. I have some of the males in my freezer. I hatch out around 300 chicks a year and selling some of the birds helps to recoup some of the feed cost.
I keep the best for breeding. I have my first batch of chicks hatching on Tuesday. If it goes well I may have some eggs available for sale. All of the chicks are from proven lines that I have kept pure (heritage).
IMG_20180614_134635.jpg

Yep, every fall I sell or (usually)slaughter half dozen 2 to 3 yo hens, some get sold as stewing hens. Got to make room for new pullets (hatched here) in my limited space before hard winter sets in. Cockerels go at 12-16 weeks in early summer.

I keep chickens for food, eggs and meat,
grown under better conditions than grocery food.
Egg sales pay for their feed.
No space or resources for keeping 'pet' birds, pet budget goes to my dog.
It's a hard balance, but that's where the Romance meets Reality.

Just my two cents: I would much rather process my less productive/not needed birds than sell them. It breaks my heart to think how they may be treated and/or neglected by the new family. And, yes, as weird as it sounds, I would much rather process them for my family than to think of them being neglected.

Now this is comparing apples to oranges since I don’t cull my other “companion” animals, but I could never give away/sell my dogs (7) or horses (6). I could not stand the thought of my animals being abused.

Even though my chickens are for enjoyment while they are here, as with all other sources of food (beef and pork), they will be processed at the appropriate time, because IMO that is their original purpose.

There is a big difference of a kind of backyard flock than a more commercial type flock. My birds are mainly bred for showing at poultry shows and some (younger males), get processed and some I sell to others who want to also breed to show. I do have some as pets that normally should have been culled as chicks. This is Gladys my now 3 year old crossed beak.
IMG_20180429_170518.jpg
IMG_20180612_201022.jpg
IMG_20180612_201100.jpg

Just my two cents: I would much rather process my less productive/not needed birds than sell them. It breaks my heart to think how they may be treated and/or neglected by the new family. And, yes, as weird as it sounds, I would much rather process them for my family than to think of them being neglected.
'As weird as it sounds',
I must be 'weird' too, very reason why I don't sell any of my older birds, don't trust anybody, I'd rather just eat them myself. I don't think they'd enjoy the stress of being taken off by somebody else lol.
I have given away young birds before to those I know, or friends of friends.

No. I don't. They are all my pets, I wouldn't eat my pets. I have one hen that is 5 years old, doesn't lay anymore and I don't care. To each their own. I don't care for chicken meat anyway...

Lots of time and effort invested in my animals. Just not for me, never ever will be. Maybe for my ancestors from 100 years ago but not for me.

Last edited:
We started out thinking that we would process the hens after their egg priductipr slowed. Yeah, 1 week in & I knew that would never happen. Took another week to work up the nerve to tell the Mr that there was going to have to be a revision in that original plan.

So no, we don't kill the 'peeple' we know. We are running an old age home for chickens. I have 7, so I am not faced with broodies, overcrowding or chicks. Just the occasional jerk bully, but I have a jail cell for her & a Chicken Spa for the victim(s) and thise needing a little extra TLC sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom