do you stay with your flock while free ranging?

My dog yard is about an acre in size, fenced with 5' tall horse fencing. I let the flock out around dawn, and they 'free range' until I get up around 2pm. If I'm going to be home, they get to stay out later. I don't watch them, but there are lots of hiding places for them. They LOVE hanging out under my shed, and have many dust wallows under there. One of the reasons I got chickens was for the wonderful tasting eggs. Unless you let them free-range, you don't get the same flavor, in my opinion. It's also just better for their overall well being.

Cute story; one morning I let the kids out as usual, and one of my speckled sussex made a beeline for the porch. Up the 15 steps she climbed, as if she was on a mission. She went straight for the dog's water bowl and proceeded to take a long drink. I guess the water tastes better out of a metal bowl?
22798_dsc_1876.jpg

It is pure instinct...but I notice the chickens that are free ranged from a young age have more highly developed senses when it comes to this instinct. I adopted some chickens that had been kept inside their whole lives up to 2 yrs. of age and these birds had to learn to forage, duck and run when the other chickens did, etc. They were slow to react to the roo's alarm calls and didn't seem to know what to do when they actually heard it. They have since learned but are still the last to take cover.

My chickens have always been quick to react and had never had any hawk predation until this past winter, so I doubt this is learned from witnessing an attack. Most of my chickens are 3 yrs. old.

I thought it was very amusing to watch them as 2 wk old chicks duck and run like the big chickens just as if they had been programmed.....they ran into the corn patch in an instant and didn't come out again until all the other birds relaxed and went back to business as usual.

Quote:
So awesome! I think it is amazing.. Thank you. So glad it's an instinct, because I don't want my chickens to learn the "hard way"! LOL!

Darcy...who is off to let the babies out to roam..
smile.png

I let mine out in the morning before work and they put themselves to bed when they want to, and I close the run door when I get home about 8:30pm. We live in the woods on 7.5 acres and the trees come almost to the house on 2 sides. There are plenty of places to hide from hawks etc under my shrubs or even in my open garage. The other day I went outside and they were all up on my porch sleeping on my Chesapeakes' old dog bed...it was so cute! Anyway, so far it has worked. I know sooner or later something is going to happen, but for now they are happy free ranging chickens. I do have a roo (Rudy Roo) but he isn't old enough yet to be much protection. They have stayed close to the house up to this point in time, but my husband told me yesterday they ventured further than they ever have, over into my neighbors' yard, about 40 yards from my house. Her yard is all open, so if they make a habit of going over there I may lose one or more. We'll just have to see how it goes. It has worked so far, but I work 12 hour shifts so I don't work every day and my husband or teenage son is usually home when I am not.

At 7 am I let everyone out including young "teenage" birds to free range. We are on 1 acre with lots and lots of trees, bushes, things laying around the yard to hide under ect. Free ranging for the past 5 years for me has been great. I have only lost 2 birds during that time. My roosters do an excellent job of alerting the girls and babies when danger is near and they alll run back to their covered runs or hide under a bush. When I am at work during the day I still let them out to free range all day everyday. Betty my duck is like the watch dog around here and runs off the stray cats that get in. Our back yard is fenced on both sides but not all the way around which keeps most of the dogs out, the few that may get in are ok with chickens and leave them be. I lock everyone up in the coop at 9 pm during the warmer months. They really love their freedom this time of year due to the fact they are in serious lockdown over winter months, they hate the cold/snow and won't go outside in it anyway.

Mine all stay in their coops until I get home from work. My 10 acres are perimeter fenced, but you still just never know. Their coops are chain link and covered, so I know they are safe from predators until I get home. You just never know when a dog or several dogs could get over the fence and into my acreage, so I just want to play it safe. Once I get home, the doors open and its a free for all until dark. And on weekends, if I know Im not going anywhere, they get to go out early.

I HAVE to be there or comeone gets killed....either it's me getting killed by my DH for the landscaping that would be ruined or a chicken by one of many predators.

Quote:
That has become my attitude too. The chickies have a safe night time coop and secure, small covered run, but they spend most of their time out and about in my fenced yard when I am home. For what it is worth, they seem smart about hawks. They stay mostly under the trees and shrubs and hide/freeze if anything they don't understand (including airplanes at first, lol) is over head. They also listen and respond to wild bird alert calls. So far, so good......

Back
Top Bottom