do you stay with your flock while free ranging?

At first, I always stayed outside with mine when they were out of the run. But not now. They are only out when I'm home, so although I would hear if there were problems, it could be too late by the time I got out there. But my property is fenced, and they typically stay close in to the house or under a group of cedar trees on the property, so it's worth the risk to me. I love looking out the kitchen or living room window, watching them peck around the yard
smile.png

I am going to start free ranging my 9 week old BR's this week. I am concerned about the ditch tigers that my ignorant neighbor insists on feeding and keeping around. We live just outside of town on 3 acres, with two other houses up the hill from us. These people don't realize what kind of damage these feral cats do to the wildlife in the area. When I put the chicks out I am sitting out there with the .22 on my knees. If I see one I am treating it just like I would any other predator.

I let them out free range for first time today, but only for an hour.
I was so worry about if they go out so far or they go in the bush... etc.
They kinda stay around coop but some went pretty far.
I don't have fenced-in-yard and butt to some bushes.
Still worry about them but I will try longer time tomorrow.

I free ranged my flock during the day last year and basically got wiped out . Went from 12 to 2 in a matter of just a few months. The hawks got very brave and smart. Now I have built the flock back up and they only get out for a few hours in the evening and they are always put up before I leave. Seems to be working for them and me so far.

I've just started free ranging - they have a big coop and a fully fenced big run, but they like coming out to the "nice" grass LOL. I think I do it more for me and my daughter - she LOVES "feeding" them aka trying to put the feed ON the chickens, and I just like sitting and watching them. So far, they like to come out in the evening for a few hours, and they end up going to the coop on their own. Today I was up early and my daughter and I went out and let the chickens loose for two hours from 6am to 8am - then I guess they decided it was too warm and all wandered into the coop.

We have a LOT of hawks out here, and not much good cover on our acre. We are surrounded by grass fields, and there are a few big maple trees, but nothing that is good cover from a hawk. Their run has netting over it, and that has deterred any attacks from above. With only 12, and those being mainly pets now, I'd prefer safe than sorry.
smile.png

I stay out with my birds when they are free-ranging, as well. We just started letting them out last Saturday, and they are varying in ages from about 12 to 16 weeks or so. My reason for staying out with my flock, though, has more to do with my dog and cats not being used to the chickens being out in the yard just yet. I want to make sure my dog or one of my cats doesn't attack the chickens.

So far, everything has gone very well. The girls love to forage and free range, but this is the week I finally have to do the deed and clip their wings. The leghorn is FLIGHTY!! She is trying to get over the fence, and I'm terrified of her getting into the neighbor's yard where there's a vicious dog that wouldn't hesitate to make a quick snack of one of my birds. They're all starting to flap a bit, so everybody's getting their wings clipped this week. For their own safety, it's imperative they do not get out of my yard.

I used to only let mine out when I was at home and could watch them. Now it SO hot that even though their coop area is all shaded it's still unbearable. I started letting them out every morning and they mostly hang out under the shed during the hottest part of the day! I came to the conclusion that I would rather loose one to a predator than to a heat stoke!!

Missi

Quote:
That was my decision today as well. My pullets are 18 weeks old and I always watch them when they are out, which is usually 5:30 on. It is just so hot today that I asked my neighbor to let them out when I am at work. I am hoping that it is too hot for the fox to be out. I dont want to lost any, but losing 1 to the fox or a hawk beats losing 10 to the heat.

We have lots of crows that do a great job of keeping the hawks away. The chickens seem to know to take cover when they hear the crows. We have not seen the fox yet, but one neighbor lost most of his chickens to the fox this year. He is pretty far from the road and it is more wooded, so I hope it is safer where we are. I am going to be a wreck until I get home and count those birds!

My flock of 23 get to run around all day as long as I am home in time to shut the pen door at dusk. They are the happiest when they can run around our couple of acres.

My theory is it is their job to keep themselves safe during the day (within reason of course), and my job to keep them safe at night.

I'm on the eastern End of Long Island, and my comment sort of mirrors that of "Oven Ready" - I have 30 assorted girls only... they are out from sun up til sun down ~ we watch our 'special need' ladies as well - they have run of just under 8 acres
I lost one in a whole year to a hawk =0(
..the only downside to being on the loose all day, I find, is that they lay their eggs not always in the coop - have found a few in the horse barns here and there, and my young'uns like to hang out very high in a pine tree - so if they're there at sundown - there they stay - but I do worry about them!
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom