Do you supervise your chickens?

Right now my gang only gets to free range if either dad or I am home as our place is not fenced and our neighbors let their dogs run loose. We also have lots of hawks; but, my chooks know when to get under cover.
Do have a few dingy hens that do not always listen to the roosters. I just have a feeling they may end up taken to dinner by one of the hawks.
We do not stand guard the whole time as we are usually doing otherstuff around the home. That said I do enjoy sitting outside just watching them be chickens. It is relaxing, kinda like watching fish in a tank.

Quote:
I agree 100%
thumbsup.gif

I'd never be able to get them back in the coop if I had to haha... mine free range all day even when I'm working. This past winter I was at work and my neighbour sent me a message online and said there was an owl watching my flock and they were flipping out. She went out and shooed it for me and kept an eye on them while I was gone. We did have a hawk attack but it happened almost ON my front deck. I couldn't believe it. My husband ran out and there was this hawk trying to fight my rooster. It was awful. He tore a lot of feathers off of my girls backs. But no one was killed.

I have 2 great Sumatra roos that supervise 3 Sumatra hens free ranging all day. In the run I have 12 11-week olds that only get to free range for an hour or 2 during the week, but they have a 20x5 run. When they are let out, I have to supervise, to keep the youngsters away from the older ones. One more month and I'll start letting them comingle. My 3 hens I'm sure will appreciate it when the roos have 11 more hens to 'handle' lol

I have a HUGE covered run, and would NEVER let mine free range unless I was home...that first year.
hide.gif

I only work part-time, but these days I will typically let mine out to roam even if I'm working that day. My property is fenced, but I realize they're still at risk. We do have hawks, and I suppose a dog could break into my yard. My birds seem happiest out and about, and I guess I look at it like quality of life over quantity of life. And I just love coming up the driveway, seeing them pecking about the lawn, or jumping down off the porch to run to me when I get out of the car.
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes only with supervision. I have to boot them out of my flower beds! They would destroy everything I have in 10 min without supervision. They do have a nice run so I don't let them out very much. It's like having 35 kids with the ADHD.
roll.png

Quote:
Aw mine do that too.. even when I'm on my motorcycle, it's adorable. I'm like guys.... don't touch those pipes they're hot!!

Noop, there are several rooster to keep on the look-out for predators. I let them range freely every day while I am at work. I did not, originally, for many months. Once I did start letting them out on the weekends, I noticed how much happier they were, and how miserable they were when confined in the run. The run was large enough for them, back then.... Many fewer chickens. I also noticed a significant difference in their eggs. Better eggs when allowed out to forage.

And it is such a hoot when they run and flap down the driveway to greet me if I come home during daylight hours.

They put themselves to roost just fine. I just do a brief double-check in the coops and run to make sure all are settled down safely.

Back
Top Bottom