Do you think 5 1/2 weeks is old enoungh to put in a barn.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rooster Ray, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Do you think 5 1/2 weeks is old enoungh to put chicks in a barn with a heat lamp even though the night temps outside are still in the teens?

2. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    Are they fully feathered out? I would hold off if your temps get that chilly at night. I usually wait until 8 weeks, but that's just me.
    Good Luck
    Christina

3. Rooster Ray

Rooster Ray Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    South West Michigan
    Quote:Yes all but one are totally feathered out.

4. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I was told, and we always did when i was a kid, to put them out, keep them inside at night, and give them a "hay bale hut" to roost in. literally a little hut on the coop floor built out of 4 or more straw or hay bales. if they dont have any access to roosting ledges or poles they'll crawl under the hut at that age and keep nice and toasty. Ours always did well- but we were only raising production birds, not fancies.

5. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Yes,
    I assume you have them in the house, now.. they stink, don't they?

I would suggest that you start them out in a smallish type enclosure until they acclimate.

somewhere that the heat you provide cannot escape..

6. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:That gave me a good laugh, thanks!

[​IMG]

7. marytoast

marytoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    Carthage, NC
    Yea, mine are inside too. There's nothing like the smell of chicken poo and apple candle burning (trying to cover it up) [​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    I'm a newbie so probably do a lot I shouldn't do, but . . . I put my 4 new 5 1/2 week old RIR's out in the coop with my "teenagers" (4 20 week Ameracaunas), and my "fat butts" (5 older hens). I thought since they seemed to have feathers they would be fine . . . they were. I have learned from reading since then that I should have waited until there were more feathers, but honestly it is COLD here and we had no problems. One morning after the temperature had really dropped I opened the door to find my "teenagers" down on the floor with the "kids", they had their wings covering them and everyone was happy. The "kids" seem to be benefiting by the early introduction to the flock as everybody id getting along quite well; I was worried they would get picked on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by