do you think a cat can be bipolar (manic-depressive)? seriously.

Quote:
If he is throwing up tha much, the blood might be from his esophagus lining being raw,maybe.

Hence why the sucralfate and/or slippery elm. Coats the irritated sections and gives them time to heal.

Yes, we are assuming the blood in the vomit is from irritation, either from barfing repeatedly or from an ulcer. The vet suggested endoscopy, but at $2-3,000 for something that might very well not produce any real answers or solution, unfortunately that is just not going to happen.

Trying a grain free food is an interesting suggestion (although I have to say, all our cats are doing very well on the Hills c/d - shiny soft coats, firm compact stools, etc). I will look and see what is available around here (remember I am in Canada) and maybe try something along those lines.

It's not clear to me exactly what Mo's deal was when he was at the shelter. He either came in with, or immediately contracted, a very serious URI and spent a couple months in the cat supervisor's home in intensive care (he has minor residual 'chronic URI' still, just the very occasional sneeze and tiny bit of dark nasal and eye discharge, especially after he's not eaten for a few days). So she had difficulty getting him to eat well during that period but he had a logical reason for it. When he got better he started eating ok but according to her did not eat a large amount (this does not match my experience with when he's being very 'eaty'). It was cheap kibble tho.

He was actually at the *shelter* (as opposed to in her home) for about a month before we adopted him. But, because they have a dozen or so cats per room (no cages, all together -- yes, the shelter quarantines them for I think a month before putting them in there) there was no way to tell how much he was or was not eating. He seemed happy and bright there, though, although a few sneezies and eye boogers.

I wonder sometimes how many homes he's had in the past, if maybe he's done this with previous owner(s) who finally gave up and opened the door and let him out and he wandered off
tongue.png

Started work on the second compartment of the cat enclosure -- a 10' long enclosed bridge, about 7' above the ground, over to the cedar hedge, where it will eventually connect with more.

Pat

I had a cat like that once he was from a shelter too. As soon as they could wean him he was up for adoption and I think that he was too young. I really thing he had some kind of complex because he didn't socialize enough with his kitty kind and acted out thinking he was equal or something.

Pat said:
<<<<Started work on the second compartment of the cat enclosure -- a 10' long enclosed bridge, about 7' above the ground, over to the cedar hedge, where it will eventually connect with more.>>>>

Do you have any pics of the building method? I love that idea.

), during the times he is not eating. (not at all when he is eating ok). It starts out as clear liquid but progresses to blood-tinged as the hunger strike goes on. Is accompanied by nasty wet squirty diarrhea and drinking a lot.

stop the presses!

you, dear friend, need a new vet.

sorry for the theatrics! just wanted to get your attention
:)

your poor little pal has IBS - irritable bowel syndrome (or disease = IBD) most likely as the result of being allergic to the food. he needs a couple of prednisones to calm down the lining of his tummy...then you should embark on the oh so fun trip of trying to find out what he's allergic to - as others have said, probably grain but could be protein. an easy way to find out is to switch to baby food - just one protein, lots of fluid in the food so will help with his blockages, no grain...and you can figure out what the deal is.

here's my story - my currently 19 year old cat started doing all the stuff you are describing when she was 3 or 4. since she is kind of high strung she'd vacillate between being really bouncy to being really sullen (when her belly hurt). for years i was told she was just stressed. my then vet gave me the same run around yours did and just started giving cortisone shots which looked like it 'cured' it. but not before telling me that she probably had cancer and was gonna die. by chance i moved and got a new vet. two mins into my speech about her he said - she's allergic to her food. and he fixed her with the above into in that one visit.

the hard thing is figuring out what they are allergic to - for mine its chicken but it 'rotates' thru other things. the trick is to stick with one SINGLE protein (not a big mix of stuff in most bagged foods - check the labels they start out with one then mix in a bunch of other stuff) for about 6 weeks. again this is hard but if you get it right - try say turkey - you're in the clear. you'll need to work out another way to manage his blockages but i think there is a fix for that....the rx food is the easiest which is why its prescribed.

to be fair, it might be exacerbated by stress - my same cat soon developed a licking compulsion - she licked herself bald and endured much teasing especially when the other cats started calling her "Patchy." this went on for while until i got rid of my now ex-husband. after that guy was kicked to the curb she immediately sprung back to total health and is now 19 going on 20. her IBD is mostly gone too but when it acts up we restrict what she is eating, pop a prednisone for the initial bout then voila - happy cat!

for the record i told that bad ex husband who didnt like the cats that 'she was here when you got here and she'll be here when you're gone - truer words have never been spoken.

PM me if you need more help and less amusing anecdotes.. there are some great sites out there to help you weed thru this. i really dont think it has anything to him wanting to be outside but yay if you can wing that!
:)

Pred is not the only way to deal with IBD, metronidazole helps if it's caught early enough in a spastic cycle and doesn't put the weight on. I'm not a real big fan of pred unless all other options are exhausted.

Still thinking it's an allergy over IBD though, but a lot of vets lump the 2 separate issues into the same diagnosis. And I do agree that another vet would be a good idea if there is one the OP can get to in her area (There's only one vet out here so I'm stuck).

Hmm... my cat is like that sometimes... you'll be petting her and she'll be all purry happy, then suddenly flatten her ears and attack you (with claws in, yes she still has her claws). She was from a breeder, we've had her since she was a wee kitten, and she's an indoor cat. She eats plenty though (TOO much, actually, she's 5 and she's getting that middle-age paunch) so I'm not sure.

Rainbow Eggs, I'm just sort of kludging things together with 2x4s and 2x2 welded wire (it actually looks a lot better than that sounds
smile.png
) - I will post some pics once more is completed, k?
smile.png

Quote:
Um, sorry, and no offense meant, but excuse me -- you do not know what my cat *has* (you just have an idea that seems likely to you), and you certainly do not know my vet nor whether I need a new one
hmm.png

As I have stated, IBS was in fact one of the first things the vet considered and was his pet theory until the ultrasound (no inflammation of intestinal walls) and other stuff convinced him it seems less likely. And even despite that, as I said, he has recommended we try Mojo on Hills d/d food which is designed for skin sensitivities but is also useful in some cases of IBS, just in case this is an atypical presentation.

Please, we should all be careful about amateur over-the-internet "diagnosis" of animals' (or peoples') problems, I have seen it cause a lot of trouble sometimes, despite all the best intentions. Saying "it sounds like" or "it could be" is fine; "it is" and "you need a new vet" is a whole nother kettle of fish.

He has been eating quite a lot this afternoon, in between camping out on me and licking my face and love-biting my throat (the latter being discouraged
tongue.png
). Hopefully he is cured this time, but I really want to solve things more permanently and knowingly -- and I am very glad I posted this thread because y'all have given me some good ideas, thank you
smile.png

Pat

Back
Top Bottom