Do you think either of these toys would be fun for ducks?

Dux

Songster
Dec 21, 2020
I've been thinking about toys that my girls might enjoy. They like their yellow Lixit chicken ball full of dried mealworms. I got them a snuffle mat, but it seemed to be too easy to count as a toy - more just a mat with mealworms on it (they're used to picking treats out of wood shavings and straw sooo....) Now I'm looking at this Wobble Toy designed for dogs:
wobble.png

Do you think they could figure out how to tip it, or would it be too hard for them and just frustrating? I'd hate to frustrate them.

I've also been looking at the plush dog puzzle toy below, which seems easier. I was thinking I could get rid of the squirrels (I think my ducks would be terrified of the squeaks, if they accidentally made one squeak) and sew or glue the sides of the holes to make them smaller and a little more challenging to jam their bills into, then hide treats inside. I feel like lots of holes might let all three of them get in on the action without the most dominant one hogging everything. Thoughts?
log.png

I've been thinking about toys that my girls might enjoy. They like their yellow Lixit chicken ball full of dried mealworms. I got them a snuffle mat, but it seemed to be too easy to count as a toy - more just a mat with mealworms on it (they're used to picking treats out of wood shavings and straw sooo....) Now I'm looking at this Wobble Toy designed for dogs:View attachment 2527782
Do you think they could figure out how to tip it, or would it be too hard for them and just frustrating? I'd hate to frustrate them.

I've also been looking at the plush dog puzzle toy below, which seems easier. I was thinking I could get rid of the squirrels (I think my ducks would be terrified of the squeaks, if they accidentally made one squeak) and sew or glue the sides of the holes to make them smaller and a little more challenging to jam their bills into, then hide treats inside. I feel like lots of holes might let all three of them get in on the action without the most dominant one hogging everything. Thoughts?
View attachment 2527788
Great ideas! I would go with the second one the first one looks a little to hard .

for the first one - get this instead and stuff with lettuce mine LOVE it and it’s much funnier for ducks - https://www.chewy.com/jw-pet-hol-ee-roller-dog-toy-color/dp/38460?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=JW Pet&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7MOfwNXl7gIVS73ACh2K0gBsEAQYASABEgJJbfD_BwE

the second one - my ducks love the ones they have! they also snuggle with the stuffed animals at night
That ball stuffed with lettuce sounds AWESOME! My ducks thank you profusely in advance for the idea. :)

On the second one, how does the size of the holes work out for your ducks? Just right, or would they ideally be somewhat smaller?

On the second one, how does the size of the holes work out for your ducks? Just right, or would they ideally be somewhat smaller?
Okay, I tried the hollow ball with the hexagonal openings, stuffed with lettuce leaves and they really liked it. Well, they really like the lettuce and are willing to work at the ball to get the lettuce out. Some of the hexagons are slightly smaller than the others and they can't get their bills into the smaller hexagons, so it is slightly baffling to them, but not so much so that they give up. When I roll the ball quickly they are a bit confused/put off by it, but I didn't spend a ton of time showing them its possibilities, so they might get more engaged with its rolling motion if I demonstrate more (it was raining really hard and I was getting cold).

Omgoodness, lol. I have to add this in... I read this thread a few days ago and ordered one of those rubber hexagon hole dog toy ball things on Amazon. It arrived today. The ducks at first were terrified but, that thing was dropping lettuce leaves so fear turned into utter excitement and they have been in the pen rolling the thing around for a few hours now!

Back
Top Bottom