Do you think it will be okay to put chickens in a greenhouse?

welcome-byc.gif

I just posted over on the duck forum about converting our old greenhouse for ducks, lol. We don't currently have anything left of ours except the frame so we're going to use welded wire and hardware cloth for the sides. Is it possible to do something similar with your greenhouse (remove some of the glass panels and replace with hardware cloth)?

For our chickens we use straw because that's the easiest for us to come by so as OrganicFarmWife said, use what's easiest for you to get and keep clean. I would avoid the sawdust because of it being so fine. As for roosting, you'll want to use something like a 2x4' board up off the ground, higher than the nesting boxes. Put the 4" part flat down so the chickens will have plenty to balance on and they can cover their feet when they sleep.

Good luck with your new flock, what breed are you getting?

Thank you to you all we are thinking of putting something into the greenhouse to make sure they get ventilation and have decided not to use sawdust, and we are thinking of getting brown hens :)

You have gotten excellent advice already, so I will just say - Thank you for joining us at BYC, hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

A open window at the top of the coop. Above where the chickens will roost.
This way they get good fresh air, but they do not get air directly blown on them. (a vented window)
X2 on OrganicFarmWife's post. Make certain that the window has some type of baffle or vent on it that keeps the wind from blowing directly into the greenhouse onto the chickens while they are roosting.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom