Do you think it's possible?

justmeandtheflock

Overrun with ducklings :)
10 Years
May 27, 2009
NW NJ
That my 19 week old silver phoenix is broody? She started laying a week and a half ago. I went to let them out this morning and she was in the box with 2 RSL eggs, 2 golf balls and 1 of her own eggs under her. She let me touch her but she is growling if the other birds get too close. I took out the RSL eggs and the golf balls and gave her all of her eggs out of the fridge. She carefully tucked the new eggs under her.
fl.gif
She stays put but she is so young.

Thanks for the response
big_smile.png
. She put on a good show for a while but she is off the nest now
sad.png
Oh, well. I am going to leave the eggs out there for now in case she does decide sit again.

My light sussex hen growled at me when she was about 21 weeks old, while laying in her nest box. I thought that maybe she broody. Nope.
sad.png
She is about 8 months old now - hopefully she goes broody this coming spring.
smile.png

~Cherlyn

Lots of hens growl at others when they're on the nest laying an egg. Many will tuck any eggs they see under them, too. I think that's a survival trait, hens keeping other eggs warm while they lay their own, while trespassing on a broody hen's nest.

When a hen stays on the nest at night, instead of going to roost, then start watching to see if she's broody.

My light brahma started puffing up and growling at me at about 26 weeks. Now she shrieks at ANY other chicken that DARES to come in HER COOP while she is laying. (prissy girl, but she's one of my favorites)

However, she has made absolutely no progress to being broody. She just doesn't want to be disturbed while doing her thing. In fact, I got tired of waiting, bought an incubator, waited 2 weeks for it to be shipped, ordered eggs, incubated eggs, hatched eggs a week ago and...........she's still not broody.

ETA: She's also an egg hog, and will steal eggs from the other nesting boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom