Do you Think my Australorps are Show Quality?

Discussion in 'Exhibition, Genetics, & Breeding to the SOP' started by AustralorpsAU, Jul 16, 2016.

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Hi everybody,

I have a couple of Australorp hens that i am wanting to breed from in the future. I would like to get your opinion whether my Australorp hens are worthy of breeding from and/or show quality? I know they don't have jet black eyes... they have dark brown which makes me question them a tiny bit

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Adrian Medlicot

Adrian Medlicot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    A Run
    They look really nice though!

3. Adrian Medlicot

Adrian Medlicot Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    A Run
    I think they are show quality too.

4. AustralorpsAU

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Thanks. Good to know

5. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    Can you get a side profile of them, maybe? Its hard to tell from the pics.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Do you have the Standard of Perfection? Have you studied the standard for the 'Lorps? This is what they'll be judged against. If you are going to "breed" them, you'll need to do so against that same standard. Asking folks on the internet who themselves have never owned, read or studied the breed's standard about whether your birds are "show quality" won't net you much quality input. Are you a member of the Australorp club? That's where you're going to find people who are dedicated to and knowledable the breed. I write from a North American perspective, but all this can be translated for the Australian Standard.

Exhibition lines are usually only secured from exhibition line breeders. Think about where you sourced these birds.

As I read the Australorp standard, I find that the combs are to be "perfectly straight and upright".
    The standard does not call for black eyes.
    The tails are to be "medium length and well spread" sweeping to a 40 degree angle. I'm seeing rather pinched tails on the birds shown.
    Shanks must be "black in young, shedding to dark slate in adult. Feet and toe bottoms pinkish white".

So, you decide whether these birds are of the quality necessary to be exhibited as top examples of the breed. If you're passionate about the breed, go to a top exhibition. See the breed winning birds. Talk to folks who, like you, love the breed and have some of the very best. They will be your greatest help in this fancy. Best wishes on your endeavor.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  7. AustralorpsAU

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Ok Thanks. I am part of the Australorp club and i will see with them.

1 person likes this.
  8. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Are you sure they are australorps? They look like black orpingtons, where did you get them?

9. AustralorpsAU

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Im pretty sure they are Australorps... got them from a breeder in Perth. What makes you think they could be Black Orpingtons?

10. AustralorpsAU

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    Plus it is very hard to find orpingtons where i live in Western Australia so im guessing they are Australorps... but I could be wrong though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by