do You think my chickens have enough room?

guillemette

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2015
sanford maine
So I have 8 isa chickens that are in a 4ft x 4ft x 42" high coop with 3 external nesting boxes on the side. they have a 10 ft x 10 ft covered run. Is this going to be alright?

The rule of thumb is 4 sq ft per chicken of open floor space in the coop, and 10 sq ft in the run, so our 4 ladies would need 16 sq ft in the coop and 40 sq ft in the run. This is considered a rule of thumb guide to the minimum to prevent serious pecking, feather pulling and even cannibalism. Now, mine have several times this, but then I live in the country.

Please read this excellent article on space for chickens:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-much-room-do-chickens-need

So I have 8 isa chickens that are in a 4ft x 4ft x 42" high coop with 3 external nesting boxes on the side. they have a 10 ft x 10 ft covered run. Is this going to be alright?
*I* personally would not put that many birds in that coop. The link Judy has provided is a great read and may help you sort through your situation.
Your coop is on the small side and, given your location, that is likely to become an issue when the birds are spending more time inside through the winter. Behavioral issues such as feather picking, bullying, etc. are more likely when birds are overcrowded. Your run is nice and roomy - is any/all of it covered? If the run is covered it provides more protected space for them to use than just the interior or the coop and will help to avoid them being cramped up inside the coop getting nasty with each other. The birds *can* live in that small of a space, but there is a difference between surviving and thriving. I am of the belief that there is no such thing as giving them too much room (but there is definitely such a thing as providing too little).

They all get along great no fighting and the run is set up so it is covered on the top and two sides can extend the coverage to the ground if I chose to in winter to keep the snow out. I read someplace that two ft was good. That Isa Brown's are good in smaller spaces? I figured they only sleep in the coop. I have no plans on keeping them all cooped up this winter. that's why I have used a hut style frame building with fencing around it. so I could cover it in the winter so they could use it all 4 seasons.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom