Do you think my eggs are any good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ol'FashionHen, Apr 9, 2009.

1. Ol'FashionHen

Ol'FashionHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    I have a silkie and she of couse is broody...so I let her have five eggs to hatch ( around 25th of March) and twice when I have returned home from work the big girls have ran her off her eggs to lay themselves [​IMG] and I guess my silkie became confused as to which eggs were hers and I found her in another nest [​IMG] , I of course put her back on her eggs. So my question is do you think her eggs are fine she would have only been off of them for a few hours. [​IMG] , I'm debating on just getting her some chicks from TSC and sneaking under her , but if her eggs are ok I of course want her to hatch them? [​IMG]

2. twotmama

twotmama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2009
    The eggs should be fine my hens run each other off and eventually they go back to the right nest. As long as something is setting on them, they do get up and strech their legs occassionally. Don't give up yet, they probably will still hatch.

3. new-roo

new-roo Scrambled

Oct 19, 2007
    Candle them and see if anything is developing, if another hen was on them while waiting for her egg they should not have gotten too chilled. I would let her keep sitting you still have another week to wait. I would seperate her to avoid further confusion.

And I would get a couple chicks too, just because I would want more. [​IMG]

4. Ol'FashionHen

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    Thanks , I'm new to the whole hatching thing I knew they would get up periodically, I was just scared she may have been off of them too long . thanks [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Ol'FashionHen

Oct 24, 2008
    The South
    New Roo...
    when I mentioned getting some chicks my DH was like what [​IMG]
    don't you think you have enough...
    and I'm thinking what [​IMG] , [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by