Do you think my two Roo's can stay?

I've got 3 roos and 31 hens. There is definitely a dominant rooster - my bantam cochin - who runs the other two around (a standard polish and a silkie). But they don't fight, and since they free range they don't have to be anywhere near each other. The only time I see a squabble is at bedtime when they're going to roost. The bantam won't let other two into the coop until he's chosen his place to sleep.

In the past, I had two brother roos who had grown up together. I got them as adults. They did fine until spring, when one day they just started fighting and fought all day. But a day or two later, all was good and peaceful again. Occasionally, once every few months maybe, they would fight but not usually.

It depends of their personalities. I've had 2,3,4 roos together without problems,and with a lot of problems. I've had to remove one of the 2 I had lately, because they started to rape two of the hens. They took turns to mate the poor hen.

Right now we have 26 hens and six roos we already have some fighting at 15 wks. I can't kill any so I have been able to give 1 roo and 4 hens to a couple who want to try chickens. 2 are going to auction so we will have 3 left to sort it out among themselves. I have kept 2 RIR roos with 12 hens and had no real problems. Somedays they do get out of the wrong side of the bed though.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom