Do you think she'll lay??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LaurenV, Jan 15, 2012.

1. LaurenV

LaurenV Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    I put an EE in a kennel with shavings, food, water and about 6 eggs. She went straight to the nest and sat on it. Do you think she will stay there. Whenever I stick my hand in there, she pecks at it. Does anyone think that she will hatch any chicks, the eggs are all fertile. :D

2. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Anyone?? :D

3. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Was she already broody? How long?

4. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    We got her this summer and started laying in october or november. I just put her in there this morning, and like I said, she went straight to the eggs and sat on them.

5. fuzziecreatures

Last edited: Jan 15, 2012
  6. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    She wasn't broody already. Whenever she is sittin gin the nesting box, laying an egg she is always protective. Is this normal when laying an egg or is this like an early broody stage?

7. fuzziecreatures

I would say normal laying behavior. She needs to "stick" on the nest, she should stay on it most of the day and all night for 21 days in order to hatch chicks. Check out the thread and do a search for broody hens to see what behavior you need to look for.

8. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    Well, My neighbor has a broody hen so I know almost all of the "symptoms". Don't they make a noise that almost sounds like humming when threatened?? That is the only thing the EE is missing. Thankyou! :D

9. fuzziecreatures

One of my broodies will screech when I first come in the coop. Others will make noises when threatened, but one only puffs up to try to make herself bigger. I hope it goes well for you, some pictures of babies in 21 days would be fantastic

10. LaurenV

Jan 2, 2012
    Idaho
    I will try to post pictures if there are any pictures to post. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by