Do you think the chicks can go outside fulltime??

lissalischicks

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 31, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Stupid question - My chicks are about 10 weeks old. They appear fully feathered but I haven't put them out yet full time yet. Mostly because I live in California and it's been raining ... A LOT. I feel like if it wasn't so rainy I would have transitioned them out as I have done before but it's never been this cold and rainy. We have a covered run area and an open area (which is MUDDY). Then covered isn't as big so I didn't want the young ones to feel trapped and then big ones gang up on them (it is raining for days at a time so they will be stuck in the covered section).
One more reason/excuse. The nights are pretty cold in the mid 40s.
With that.... do you guys think it is okay to let them sleep outside (in a house with the big hens) now? It is supposed to start pouring again in a few days.... any comments appreciated.

My chicks have been in their coop since day 1 with a heat source. Lows have been 33, highs close to 70 and everything in between with rain.

But they've been in their coop. They are going on 4wks and 2.5wks.
I let them out supervised ...anything 40+
Idk if you have a set up like that (kinda doesn't sound like it) but they CAN go out...

I am no help on the rain.

How many older girls? How big is your covered run?? How many chicks??

My chicks have been in their coop since day 1 with a heat source. Lows have been 33, highs close to 70 and everything in between with rain.

But they've been in their coop. They are going on 4wks and 2.5wks.
I let them out supervised ...anything 40+
Idk if you have a set up like that (kinda doesn't sound like it) but they CAN go out...

I am no help on the rain.

How many older girls? How big is your covered run?? How many chicks??
I have 8 hens and now adding 8 chicks (the 10weekers). Unfortunately we don't have a set up like you do so they have been driving me crazy in the house. I have put them outside in a safe covered area when it isn't raining and the ground is muddy.
My covered run is about 10 x 16 and the uncovered is about 3 to 4 times that.
The rain is the big factor for me :( or I am just being too overprotective .

I brood outdoors from day one, though they don't have access to a run in this setup until they're being integrated into the main coop.

Do you have a "Look, Don't Touch" setup for integration?
yes i do. and they are there right now as we speak. I got them in january and I do not have a good set up for them when they are that young. we are looking into it but just haven't yet. Plus.... it has been raining a lot(for us) and it threw me into a loop.

yes i do. and they are there right now as we speak. I got them in january and I do not have a good set up for them when they are that young. we are looking into it but just haven't yet. Plus.... it has been raining a lot(for us) and it threw me into a loop.

If that area is big enough and dry enough they can stay there.

This is my improvised integration pen from when I got some chicks a few weeks earlier than expected: Mini-Coop or Integration Pen From a Large Dog Crate

0511211358-jpg.2676116

My mama hens take babies outside at 2 or 3 days, rain or shine. 10 weeks is hardly a chick any more. They can easily handle 40º and they can handle rain. Make sure they have an option to get out of the rain.
Thank Gawd.... I think I just needed confirmation. Well this next week is going to be fun trying to acclimate them to coop life!
Good point about the chicks with mama hen. When one of my girls had chicks they were out and about I. The cold on their second day of life.

I have 8 hens and now adding 8 chicks (the 10weekers). Unfortunately we don't have a set up like you do so they have been driving me crazy in the house. I have put them outside in a safe covered area when it isn't raining and the ground is muddy.
My covered run is about 10 x 16 and the uncovered is about 3 to 4 times that.
The rain is the big factor for me :( or I am just being too overprotective .
I wonder if you could soak up.some of the water and mud with saw dust pellets...(idk the name) but they work super well...may help in the short term....

As far as them being out in the actual rain...I have no suggestions...I am sorry. I think you just use your best judgment there...

Back
Top Bottom