Do you think these are Barred Rocks?

Could be lower quality BRs, or possibly the bottom one, especially, could be a BR cross. The barring is really sketchy like some Phoenix x BR cockerels I had once and some of the BR crosses I've hatched over time here.

How old are they? I'd watch for the bottom one to be a possible cockerel, though I'm not certain of that at all right now. If it's a cross, it could be dark like a pure BR pullet.

Last edited:
I have crosses that have better barring, but then again.. Barred pullets at that age (not good quality, but not awful either) have weird barring like that. It seems to sort itself out once their adult feathers come in.
_MG_8039.jpg
Here is one of my really good quality girls. From a breeder with SQ stock. I really hope it doesn't stay this way, but I have another one from the same breeder that is just beautiful.
_MG_8044.jpg
_MG_8172.jpg
Here are two of my barred mixes. Barred rock cock over Delaware hen.

The chick is actually black with white markings, it didnt come out clearly in the photo-they are 5 weeks old now
How can I tell if they are actually cockrels?

The chick is actually black with white markings, it didnt come out clearly in the photo-they are 5 weeks old now How can I tell if they are actually cockrels?
At that age, with that comb development, they are pullets.
_MG_8548.jpg
Here is my BR boy @ 1 week older than yours. Sorry abut the dirty water. I have ducks and they love to dirty it up :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom