Do you think this is a Buff Orpington??

PunkinPeep

Songster
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
SouthEast Texas
I bought this chick through a friend. He's supposed to be a male buff orpington.

But the more i look at his coloring, the more it doesn't look right to me. But i'm not sure. I need your help.

His wing feathers are almost white - dirty/creamy white with some brown shading. His new feathers that are coming in around his chest are dark - almost but not quite rir colored. And the first thing i said when i said him is "he looks really red."

Please lend me your expertise!

S6306049.JPG

S6306051.JPG

S6306053.JPG

S6306054.JPG

S6306056.JPG

S6306057.JPG

S6306059.JPG

S6306063.JPG

I think you need to give him a little more time to feather out. And remember their juvenile feathers are a little different then their adult feathers. My Buff Orps have a variation of cream buff colors in their fetheration ever so slightly.
Looks buff to me.

I would hold out for buff, too - but in the last photo it looks like he has a very yellow foot - might just be the lighting, though...

Not a Buff Orp. I was just about to ask about feet color - Buff Orps should have a pink tinted color on their legs/feet.

I had three. You said through a friend, would a friend lie? Trust them. Buffs lighten up in the sun so they may appear darker. As for feet color, I''ve had some Dels w/ green feet as chicks, give it some time and if turns out not to be a BO call'em on it and ask for an exchange or refund. If they won't give it to you. Write them off as a friend and start again. Anyone can make a mistake, so whether you forgive them depends on how much you value the friendship.

"To err is human, to forgive is devine": Neither is Marine Corp policy

Last edited:
Could be a Buff Rock or a cross by the coloring of his legs. Give him awhile to feather out more.

Quote:
No danger of friendship break-up here. I got him through as a friend, as in my friend found the supposed male buff orpingtons at a feed store in her area and picked up one for me too. If he's not, and i'm sure he's not now, we both got duped. I think it's just a case of ignorance run amuck. . . from the vendor to me.
hmm.png
We were more concerned with hoping that the determination that he was male was correct. It didn't occur to us to make sure he was a b.o. So we really weren't paying attention to that. I just kept noticing that he didn't look like any buff chick i've raised before....didn't really act like them either, so i got to looking more closely. Yellow legs should have tipped us off, but like i said, we weren't questioning the breed, so we didn't think to look.

Back
Top Bottom