Do you think this is a good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pkw, Jul 31, 2010.

1. pkw

pkw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2010
    North Edwards, CA
    Is it a good idea to take a few 11 week old pullets and put them in with my 7-8 week old chickens? My chicken house is a single wide mobile home and I would like to be able to introduce my 5 pullets to the group. I also have 2 11 week old roosters that I would hold off on until I see how the pullets and the 7-8 week old chickens get along.

There is still a big size difference. The 11 week old chickens are new hampshires and they are so huge already and I don't know if they are going to get any bigger or not.

The 11 week olds and the 7-8 weeks haven't seen each other but they can hear each other.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I've put 1 week old chicks in with 4 week old chicks with no problems. A few weeks doesn't really matter, and they are more accepting of new friends when they are young. Keep an eye on them when you put them together just to make sure.

3. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    Use a dog cage or similar (you may have to put smaller chicken wire around it) to put the newbies in with the flock. That way they will get used to them but can not harm them. After awhile you can let them out with the rest of the flock.

4. saylernsaxonsmom

saylernsaxonsmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Petersburg
    I think you and I are in the same boat!

I understand your concern.... I have 5, 7, and 11 week old girls. I'm not happy with the meet and greets we've had thus far. I've tried adding the 5 week olds to the 7 weekers. The next morning my sweet Brahmas were biting, snarling (well, as close as a chick can get) messes. I had to pull them out and provide some TLC to get them back on track. The 11 weekers are better, but one runs over and tries to punish the newcomer. It's hard to watch them establish pecking orders!

Good luck, and post your methods!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by