Do you think this is Coccidiosis?

bwmichaud

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Here is the scoop:

I'm raising 25 Cornish X chickens that I purchased from Welp Hatchery. They sent 27 and 1 died right off. Nothing odd there really, these things happen. 4 weeks later, another one dies. It was always smaller than the rest and never grew feathers. I'm surprised it lived as long as it did. Now I'm down to 25 which is what I paid for. They're 5 and 1/2 weeks old now and have been outside for about a week. Of course now that they are outside, it's rained like crazy every day since they've been out there. I have them in a 10' X 10' pen, half of which is covered, and I move the pen every day. This is the 1st time that I have not used medicated feed. They are now eating a 20% protein broiler grower (Poulin Grain) and for the 1st 3 weeks, they ate a 20% non-medicated broiler starter mash (Morrison's Custom Feed). After the 1st week, I have been feeding them for 12 hours on and 12 hours off. They always have fresh clean water and I have been adding organic, unpastuerized apple cider vinegar to their water since the 1st day at the rate of 1 Tbsp per gallon. I went out to move the pen today and found multiple bloody stools. I checked where the pen was the day before and there were a few there as well. I'm assuming this is Coccidiosis but I'm not positive. I plan to look at the stool under a microscope tomorrow when I get home. I picked up some Amprolium (Corid) from the farm store and want to start them on that. Any thoughts or advice? I've tried to attach a couple pictures of the stool. Sory for the poor quality. I only have a cell phone camera.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Are they acting sick? Kind of fluffed up. Not as active as usual. We have had a really wet spring and my 10 week olds had cocci that I treated for about a week ago. They, well only 1 showed symptoms came down with it after being outside for 2 weeks and I feed medicated chick starter. I treated for 5 days and all are fine. It could be intestinal shed but looks pretty bright red to me. It usually looks more like a dusky red pink if that makes any sense.

I got some 7 week old chicks 1 1/2 weeks ago. One chick had droopy wings and I should have immediately refused to accept it.

I gave that chick nutri drops for several days and she pulled through.
Last monday I saw bloody stools. Didnt look like hamburger to me. ???

One of the chicks, (now 8 weeks) was sitting slumped with eyes closed.
I bought corid and have been treating the water daily.

No more bloody poop, but that chick is still sitting around with her eyes closed.
I give her corid water two or three times daily with an eye dropper and am giving her
nutri drops too.

I am just about ready to eliminate her from my small flock.
I have seen her just a few times since tuesday, drinking or eating.

Do you feel that this is coccidia?

These chicks were put into a disinfected pen that had been empty of poultry for 3 or 4 weeks.
They have never been outside. The pen is clean, and the water is clean.

I suggest you treat them with Sulmet since Corid only treats one type of cocci. Liquid sulmet is dosed at the rate of 2 tablespoons per gallon for 2 days, then 1/2 that for another 4 days. It doesn't matter if they've never been outside - cocci seem to be everywhere in the environment and many chicks get it without ever being on dirt.

I am having the same issue with my 2 month old chick. I have brought her in and have given her electrolytes and antibiotc in her water. I have only seen two bloody poops and the rest of her poops seem normal. She had all this energy yesterday and today she is just sleeping a lot. Unfotunately we cannot get Sulmet in Canada and i have inly been able to give her tetracycline as an antibiotic. The vet has another variety for coccidia, but I can't afford $149 for a 3 gallon tub.

Should I just let her be? She is in the house with us in the bathroom and i will bring her out to watch a movie with me
smile.png

Antibiotics will have no effect on cocci. A young chick can quickly get overwhelmed and die from it. You really need to get something that will treat the protozoa. Something in the sulfonamide class of drugs - albon I think is another name. Surely they have treatments for cocci that do not cost that much? Amprollium is also used, but treats only one type of cocci. However, it would be better than nothing. If you cannot treat her with anything, stop all high protein treats, keep litter very clean and dry and hope she can develop a resistance before they kill her:( Sorry

They don't really seem to look sick. In the morning when I move the pen, I open the door and set the newly filled feeders outside the pen. They all shuffle out and take up a spot at the feeder. I then move the pen to new grass and bring the feeders into the pen. They all shuffle back into the pen and take up their spots. I wouldn't have been too concerned except that the conditions seem to be perfect for Cocci and there were so many bloody stools all at once. I would have to guess about 8-10 in 12 hours. Looking at the poop chart, it does look more like a shed intestinal lining. There are definitely some that are mucousy but I don't think I would describe them as hamburger. I didn't have any luck with the microscope either. It's been sitting in my basement for over 10 years and it is missing a part and doesn't work. As ddawn said, if they were hers, she'd treat them so I think I'm going to go that route. I'm assuming that it can't hurt to treat them with Amprollium since it is the same ingredient that is in medicated feed. Am I wrong in this assumption?

Back
Top Bottom