Do you think this silkie is a cockeral or a pullet??? plz look!

8silkies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
he just hatched yesterday at 11:30am so it will probably impossible to tell what sex he is. anyways below is his picture. also, what color silkie do you think he is? he is SUPPOSED to be white, but i don't think so.

27362_100_1055.jpg

for me, and i think many others.. silkies are one of the harder breeds to tell sex, Espesially at that young of an age, usually ull have to wait about 2 or 3 moths to be sure..

Looks to be splash, although it could be a lighter blue. If you can tell gender at 2-3 months, then you're better at it than most big name breeders. With partridge and grey you can often tell earlier on (although better quality male partridges often look like blacks for a number of months) because of the pattern differenes between male and female.

You can tell many, but not all by somewhere between 6 & 8 months; most by a year.

that would be so cool if he was a blue. ill post new pics of him when he is older to get some other ideas. i looked up vent sexing day old chicks and from that he looked like a roo. but is was hard to tell and i am not even 60% sure. we'll just have to wait and see.

As to the sex of the chick, post a picture in 12 weeks and maybe we can help you guess. The color could be White as some Whites carry a silver gene causing the chick to be gray in color. If this is the case it will feather out white. I think it will be a Splash.

Quote:
okay. ill put a new picture of him when he is around 12 weeks. he is 2 days old today and he is such a cute lil guy. he loves to peck though!

Back
Top Bottom