Do you think this will work?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GwenFarms, Apr 29, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Yesterday I noticed my black giant hen was missing. She is one of my yard birds and cleans up behind the horses. When I still didn't see her today I started looking for her. My duck stopped laying eggs in her nests a few days ago. I picked up the eggs in the nest and started brooding them in a skillet. Today when the hen still wasn't around I started looking for her. I found her sitting on a nest. Under her were four duck eggs and five of her own eggs. The duck eggs take thirty days to hatch and I really want the ducks eggs to hatch. I'm thinking of removing the chicken eggs tommorow and putting them into a flea market find skillet that I got for a buck this weekend. Tommorow will be her second full day of sitting, so when I take out the chicken eggs I want to replace them with fertile guinea eggs that hatch in 28 days. By my calculation she could hatch both without any risk of her leaving the nest due to early hatch if I left the chicken eggs.

Has anyone else ever had a black giant go broody? She is the only one I've ever owned. I usually use games as sitters. Do you all think she will sit for 30 days?

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I had my frizzle hen go broody for 5 weeks so it's possible. Good Luck with her hope it works out for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by