Do you try to save money where you can?

bops

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Ireland
Would you keep an old rooster who no longer does his job, or a hen that has stopped laying? I am being criticised over it haha

I've kept old hens that have slowed or stopped laying, a quarter of my flock was 10 years old. I've never had an old rooster. They are your chickens, do as you wish.

We all keep chickens for different reasons and different goals. My main goal is meat from standard chickens and I play with genetics. Eggs are mainly a very nice byproduct. I hardly ever have a hen (I’ll sometimes keep one that goes broody) and never a rooster over three years old.

But that is just me and my goals. Dawg’s goals and your goals are obviously different. Do as you wish. Nothing wrong with that.

Yes I keep them, they get to live their lives out here. They have served well and deserve retirement. I had a RIR that lived to be 14 years old even laid a egg now and then in her older years.

I think the same Suzierd, my friend will cull anything going through a rough patch and i think its terrible

I think the same Suzierd, my friend will cull anything going through a rough patch and i think its terrible
And it's possible that your friend thinks you're crazy for feeding non-productive birds.... As Ridgerunnner says, we all keep chickens for different reasons. You obviously keep them as pets. Your friend may not have the money or room to do so. To each his own.

Back
Top Bottom