do you turn on the first day?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KattyKillFish, Mar 10, 2009.

1. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    i just put in button quail eggs. do you turn them on the 1st day? if so, how long after you put them in? i put mine in around 2pm, and it's 5pm right now. i usually turn my chicken eggs 3 times a day, but i don't recall ever turning on the 1st day.

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I have an auto turner so they start turning immeditely, however when I used a still air and used the old "X and O" trick, I would wait 24 hours before turning.

3. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    you can turn but I would wait if you have to do it by hand let the temps level out!

she got the last of my button eggs!!!

4. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    okay, temps have been stable for a while(99.3-100.7 in the last 24 hours), just turned them. humidity is A-OK! i also just ordered 30 more eggs (ebay) i think i just might transform from a chicken lady to a quail lady XD

5. AK_Button_Mama

AK_Button_Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I like the chickens but the quail are WAY quicker!!! you can eat a coturnix in 6-8 weeks.. they are mature and laying by that time too... so you can switch out your old stock with new ones..... always have new layers this way!!!

6. KattyKillFish

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    are all of the eggs siblings, or are they from different pairs? probably from different pairs, eh?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by