Do you use bags of water against houseflies?

Quote:
lol.png
"Migraines..." that's too funny. I wonder if flies get migraines?

Pyrethrin is technically organic yes, derived from the Chrysanthemum. But I would not describe it as "safe". I manage a Pest Control company and we use this chemical every day for many insects, but we do make sure the residents evacuate the home while we treat and we always wear respirators. Just be careful with it, but it is very effective and better than a lot of the much harsher synthetic chemicals. Here's a decent link: http://www.toxicsinfo.org/pests/Pyrethroids.htm

Wow. The label has You spraying it ON animals. I did not think that was a good idea, but I was using it on there coop posts and walls.
Maybe I will hang sparkly things instead. The flies can lay on their backs and look at all the pretty colors. then while distracted, the hens can eat them.

I was more afraid of seven dust. What do you have on that?

Quote:
Stick with Pyrethrin over Seven Dust, in my opinion. Yes, the Pyrethrin "can" be used on animals (although I would NOT), in fact, it's also a common ingredient in Lice shampoos that parents put right on their kids heads, but it's overexposure to it that is the real concern. It affects the nervous system, which is how it kills insects, but too much exposure to animals and people really isn't a good idea. The long term affects won't be known until they happen of course, but just use it with caution, that's all. I personally use a line of products called EcoSmart, which is truly organic and harmless, made of mint and clove oils, etc., but I'm not sure if that's available to the public or not, I buy it through work because we have pesticide licenses. Truly organic and natural products never work quite as well as the harsh stuff, but for me it's a good compromise and does the job, particularly because I'm sensitive to chemicals. If you aren't, just stick with the Pyrethrin and use common sense; wear a mask, try not to get it on your skin, and try not to use it all the time, only when really needed and you should be fine.

Quote:
Stick with Pyrethrin over Seven Dust, in my opinion. Yes, the Pyrethrin "can" be used on animals (although I would NOT), in fact, it's also a common ingredient in Lice shampoos that parents put right on their kids heads, but it's overexposure to it that is the real concern. It affects the nervous system, which is how it kills insects, but too much exposure to animals and people really isn't a good idea. The long term affects won't be known until they happen of course, but just use it with caution, that's all. I personally use a line of products called EcoSmart, which is truly organic and harmless, made of mint and clove oils, etc., but I'm not sure if that's available to the public or not, I buy it through work because we have pesticide licenses. Truly organic and natural products never work quite as well as the harsh stuff, but for me it's a good compromise and does the job, particularly because I'm sensitive to chemicals. If you aren't, just stick with the Pyrethrin and use common sense; wear a mask, try not to get it on your skin, and try not to use it all the time, only when really needed and you should be fine.

I would like to add if you are using the concentrate permithren make sure you use the right amount it is soooo super concentrated. I use for livestock like 1/8 of tsp in 320z. of water and still very strong smelling.

eta: use the directions there is different strengths for different animals/and applications.

Last edited:
My is motto, if you can smell it, you are ingesting it. I definitely wear a mask, and I should wear gloves...
'one size fits all' never fits me. But I wash my hands compulsively because of it.
Glad to know I was right about the seven dust. It is a Carbamate isn't it? (Unsure of spelling on that one)
Maybe I should go into lizard rearing. (sudden flash of Jurassic park ...and I think not.)

Gritty, sorry I hijacked the thread. Laurajean is the 'go to girl' for my pesticide questions now.
My husband got a degree in horticulture and believes all of the things they taught him. I questioned every one who had a grant from a chemical company.

Quote:
Yes, I got off track too, sorry Gritty. Despite my "exterminating expertise" my approach to flies in the house is simply to catch them in a butterfly net and throw them outside!
lol.png

PS: funny thing about what you said about smelling it. To me, the smell is VERY strong, even well diluted in our application canisters. But my boss, who's been doing this for 25 years, can't smell it at all. SOMETHING has to be said for that. That can't be good.
hmm.png

Last edited:
No problem y'all. We all are battling the same pesky little enemy it seems and the tips are great.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom