Do you use freeze dried or live mealworms? Chicken scratch?

So I saw the post about raising mealworms by mistake and thought I'd give it a try. I bought a 100ct of mealworms from Petco (in the fridge) I brought them home and gave a few to the chickens. Then I put them back in the fridge because I didnt think there were enough to save. I forgot about them and took them back out about a week later and then I decided to try to get them to multiply. I threw in a piece of apple and then a week ago a carrot. I just threw the container in the bathroom closet and left it. Today I looked and this is what I saw! There are some HUGE worms and some dead ones. There are also several in the pupae stage. If you look closely they are the ones that are light in color and have the jagged edges. How easy is that! I cant wait to see them muliply! Does anyone know how long that food (?weat germ) lasts? So cool!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(I just started a new topic with this pic but then saw this thread. Lol)

61378_worms.jpg

You must have some speedy meal worms for your chickens to be chasing them ~~~ I want some of those ! Actually watching them chasing crickets is one of my favorite things to do here lately. Really saves money too- more entertaining than cable !
lol.png

My girls adore live mealworms, however, they turn their noses up at freeze dried. At $4.99 for a pack of 100 it was getting to be an expensive treat. I have started my own farm and it is crawling with beetles! No worms yet, but I'm sure I'll have some soon. Super easy to do. Also, it just wasn't getting warm enough in the room they live in so I put a warming pad meant for starting seedlings under their house and BAM!, the had morphed into pupa the next day. I'm hoping that will get the eggs to hatch quicker too! We'll see. It is also a great project if you have kids. My boys love the creepy crawlies, and since they don't fly (the beetles) you don't have to worry about them escaping into your house. Yikes!

Since I can't stand bugs, it would be hard for me to raise but I did find a place that sells 5 lbs for 74.99 and free shipping. (mealwormsbythepound.com) for anyone like me. Yuck.. Now will have to have my good honey put them in containers when they get here.

My girls come running when they see that container and if one flies the coop, the come running in when I hold the container up. Too much fun raising hens.

I use dried meal worms & my chickens "expect" their treats every morning & evening! One of my ladies will practically get in my lap for them & they all eat them out of my hand, I luv it & they luv meal worms! It's a huge source of protein too.

I have found a very well priced Internet site that sells thems for exotic animals & they have very reputable universities buying from them! www.exoticnutrition.com, 5 lbs., for $68.40! & that includes shipping!!! : - ))

Good Luck!

KGB

I just started two mealworm colonies. I ordered 2,000 each-small, medium, & large mealworms. Set up two habitats with oatmeal, wheat bran & carrot slices. In one day I've already had some progress. Several of the larger ones are almost beetles now. I started with some of each size so I could get a good rotation
going for my girls and guys. My chickens LOVE them and will do just about anything for them! It's a great tool for calling them back home at night. I have two girls who are particularly stubborn about coming in at night.. but shake a bag of mealworms and problem solved! Lol ;-) but the freeze dried ones at the local feed store are $24.99 for a 30oz bag. This will definitely save $$ & is also a new experience..a wiggly one! :-D

I raise mealworms. I started out with 25 from a pet store and i now have millions. I just keep them swimming in old fashioned rolled oats and every4 to 5 days give them more slices of raw potato and or slices of raw carrot. Thats their moisture intake. I am not taking live ones out....when im cleaning the dead potatoes out... and throwing to hens. But I have to be sure to not give the hens any potatoes. Poison to the hens. Weird they can eat a worm that ingests it but they cant directly have a potato. My queation is....is it ok to feed live worms to the hens or should they be freeze dried. But doesnt "dried" mean to toast them in a pan to make them dry? I just would freeze a bunch in plastic container and throw them.out to hens when frozen.

Do you use freeze dried or live mealworms?

I am trying to see what people perfer and what is best for my girls. And where do people get their worms from?

Also, how much chicken scratch can 10 full grown hens have? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom