Do you use marbles in your chickens waterer?

Marbles or stones in the waterer?

• yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • no

Votes: 6 85.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
It's generally recommended to put marbles in the waterers base 'so the chicks don't drown'.. I, personally, have never used marbles or stones in my waterer and I've never had a drowned chick. :confused:
Out of Pure curiosity, how many do or don't do this?

I use a chick sized waterer and a bucket with nipples installed. The bigs teach the littles really quickly how it works.

It's generally recommended to put marbles in the waterers base 'so the chicks don't drown'.. I, personally, have never used marbles or stones in my waterer and I've never had a drowned chick. :confused:
Out of Pure curiosity, how many do or don't do this?
I've done it both ways. I've never had much trouble with drowned chicks (just a few, over many years and hundreds of chicks.) The chicks that did drown were in batches that did not have marbles in the water.

I've decided I do prefer to put marbles in the waterer for the first few days, for an entirely different reason: the chicks peck at the marbles and get water in their beaks, so this teaches them how to drink. Once I decided that worked, I completely stopped dipping beaks on newly-shipped or newly-hatched chicks. I remove the marbles after a few days, because it is such a nuisance to dump & refill the water with marbles in it. I might leave just a few marbles for a day or two past the point when I take out most of them, but they are all out sometime between day 2 and about day 5, depending on my patience level at the time.

As regards teaching chicks to drink, I think it is more important to do something when there are just a few chicks. The more chicks in the group, the more likely that some will figure it out anyway. Once a few have learned how to drink, the rest copy them and learn too, no matter how many or few chicks are in the group. I think the marbles work better than dipping beaks, with less stress for the chicks and for me.

Oh, I just remembered another detail: I have always used the little chick waterers, that screw onto a jar, when starting young chicks. I may switch them to a bigger waterer when they are a few weeks old, or not, depending on how many chicks there are. But the little plastic chick waterers are already a pretty good protection from drowning. If you had to water chicks from a big open bowl, they might be more likely to fall in and get wet, chilled, possibly drowned. That could make marbles or stones more valuable in that situation.

Back
Top Bottom