Do you use the egg shells as calcium for the hens?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dtomato, Sep 6, 2015.

1. dtomato

dtomato New Egg

Jul 15, 2015

I have been given oyster shells to the hens, but I saw someone on here that said she breaks up the shells and uses those for her hens. I was afraid that might encourage the chickens to break their eggs to get at the shells.

How do you all do this? Do you "recycle" the egg shells as part of the calcium supplements?
  2. Hiya!

If you are going to, I would crush them up so it doesn't resemble an egg shell but I usually just bake my egg shells and use them for my garden so there's no risk of the girls learning bad habits.

I have a bunch of oyster shells out there for them to get calcium from.

Hope this helps!
  3. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

When my wife cooks she saves he shells-we then dry them completely then crush them into small pieces and feed them back to the hens. Only raw egg results in egg eating.
  4. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are very glad you decided to join us!

I just use oyster shell, but I have baked and crushed egg shells when I have a bunch, and when I have time to do them.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    You may find it easier to just buy crushed eggshell and have it out in a separate container. Hens will take it only if they need too.
  6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I keep a container of oyster shell available to my chickens at all times. But once a week or so I grab the older eggs out of the fridge, hard boil them, crush them up shells and all, and feed it to them as a treat. They love it, the extra protein is nice (especially during molt) and they get a little calcium boost. Personally I don't think the egg shells are particularly beneficial as far as calcium goes, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something nice for them so can pat myself on the back. Plus it gets rid of older eggs. I've never had one go from eating those to eating eggs in the nests. I guess that hard cooked and crushed they bear no resemblance to the eggs laid out there.
  7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)
  8. dtomato

dtomato New Egg

Jul 15, 2015
    How long do you bake them? and I assume at low temps.
  9. Talithahorse

Talithahorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Hartselle, Al
    I crush mine up and spread them out to the hens. I have never had a problem with it.
  10. Stephanie R

Stephanie R Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep my eggshells in a container until I have a dozen or so, then I microwave them for about a minute just to make sure they're dry, then crush them. I just add the eggshell to the bowl of oyster shells I keep in the coop.

I'm going to start doing what Blooie does ... that's a great idea to hard boil and then crush it all up together for a nutritious treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by