Do you wash?

frstchknz

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 16, 2011
I've read different things and different opinions on this. So I'm asking as a newbie... do I need to wash my eggs before I put them in the refridgerator?
And also another question..... I'm going to be working 11 hour shifts on some days. Is it okay to leave the eggs in the nest until 6 or 7pm? Normally my hens have been laying between 9am and noon, with the occasional 1pm or even 2pm egg. Up until this time I have been home to collect them, but now I'm a little concerned. My husband is usually home by 7pm and could collect them then. We have warm days here still with temps near 90.
thank you for your help
I appreciate you
smile.png

First, No, you don't need to wash eggs before putting them in the fridge. Or ever, unless they have poop on them.

Second, Yes, you can wait to pick them up. Near 90 is fine, they'll still be good for days at that temp.

Quote:
If you don't wash your eggs, you can leave them on your counter. They have a natural protective coating which gets washed off if you clean them with soap. If you do wash, they need to be refrigerated. In Europe, eggs are kept on the shelf at room temperature. They are wiped off with a damp towel but not washed.
Your eggs should be fine outside all day until you get home. I've had them outside in much hotter weather for a day and never had problems. I've only had trouble in freezing either because sometimes they will freeze and crack.

Thank you so much for your replies. You have put my mind at ease about being away from home so long.
I have not been washing my eggs. I haven't had any dirty ones and until I read something on the internet about washing them, I really hadn't thought of it.
I was wondering if maybe leaving them in the nests all day they might have a lot more chance of getting dirty though.. It's good to know I'm doing okay. If it's not dirty I won't wash it,
if it is.. I will clean it off
smile.png

thank you !!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom