Do you weigh eggs? What's your largest egg, and average egg size? CHICKENS ONLY

ChickenCide

In the Brooder
May 19, 2024
I am just curious what YOUR average chicken egg weight is, and what breed you have that lays it.

I also am curious what your largest egg weight has been and what it weighed.

CHICKENS ONLY, NO CHEATING, PICS 'N PROOF ALWAYS CARRY MORE WEIGHT THAN FISHERMENS' "FISH SIZE" STORIES.

But put whatever you want.

Oh, and my Largest Egg for now is not that big, it is 70.7 grams and laid by an Americana or Americana mix.

And eggs are averaging around 65 to 66 grams each.
Mainly Americana mixes and a couple black ones. Sorry to fail on the breed description, mine are mainly mixed.

ADDENDUM
I just uploaded the pic I have of my eggs. they are the largest I currently have, not huge or anything, but I was weighing them for incubation and when I took the pic so I could reference the original weights later in the incubation, and then that gave em the idea to ask other peoples' egg sizes in this post. Sorry I have a little cheat and my eggs aren't on scales, but they aren't questionably big I don't think, but I wanted to upload my pics since all of you were so nice in doing so.

Attachments

• 20240520_124417.jpg
    20240520_124417.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I am just curious what YOUR average chicken egg weight is, and what breed you have that lays it.

I also am curious what your largest egg weight has been and what it weighed.

CHICKENS ONLY, NO CHEATING, PICS 'N PROOF ALWAYS CARRY MORE WEIGHT THAN FISHERMENS' "FISH SIZE" STORIES.

But put whatever you want.

Oh, and my Largest Egg for now is not that big, it is 70.7 grams and laid by an Americana or Americana mix.

And eggs are averaging around 65 to 66 grams each.
Mainly Americana mixes and a couple black ones. Sorry to fail on the breed description, mine are mainly mixed.

Wow!

Since nobody else is bragging, I will. Mine (silkies) average 1.5 oz, (42 grams.)

The littlest ones are 1.2 oz (34 grams.)

If you bake a cake that calls for 3 eggs, we use 4.

eggs 1-21-24.jpg

Our biggest egg to date, 86g, was laid by Peekaboo, a Sapphire Gem, and it wasn't even a double. (She usually averages 58-60g)
IMG_20240524_081247-COLLAGE.jpg

The Sapphire Splash (her name is Goose) was laying 72-76g double yolkers before she settled into just laying daily larges, LoL.
Most of my girls lay large size, occasional extra large, so that probably averages out around 61-62 grams.

The two Speckled Sussex however, consistently lay small to barely medium size :idunno but their cuteness makes up for the little eggs ♥️.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-11-30-18-27-51-674.jpg
    IMG_2023-11-30-18-27-51-674.jpg
    599.8 KB · Views: 3
Our biggest egg to date, 86g, was laid by Peekaboo, a Sapphire Gem, and it wasn't even a double. (She usually averages 58-60g)
View attachment 3842243
The Sapphire Splash (her name is Goose) was laying 72-76g double yolkers before she settled into just laying daily larges, LoL.
Most of my girls lay large size, occasional extra large, so that probably averages out around 61-62 grams.

The two Speckled Sussex however, consistently lay small to barely medium size :idunno but their cuteness makes up for the little eggs ♥️.
I wish I could get mine up to laying that large. those are big eggs.

Egg size is based on the individual bird, there's no real way to make the eggs bigger and you don't want to.
WHAT! Where are your egg pics?
And of course but I am not referring to the adult layers. I have 2 young hens that hatched here and are mixed and just began laying and have not reached potential. I have two 3 week old leghorns I just picked up which I am hoping lay monster eggs when the time comes. And one of my hens hatched some chicks of which there are still 4, around three weeks old. They are mixed, but there should be a few that are Jersey Giant and Americana mixes, and I am looking forward to seeing how their egg laying potential turns out, assuming I'm not cursed with 4 roosters. I never checked their wings and I am not certain how accurate that check is anyways. Regardless those are the ones I am hoping lay some 100 gram eggs. ha ha Ill be happy if they are just hens.
I also have 3 cornish cross i bought that are ballooning up and approx 3 weeks old. 3 broad breasted white turkeys about 3 weeks old, and 2 other turkeys about 2 weeks old, that I am not certain of the breeds. I believe the brown one
is a bourbon red and i forget the breed of the silver/blue turkey. But maybe Ill luck out and get some good turkey eggs too. Those are my favorite.

Back
Top Bottom