Do you wish you would have gotten a different breed of chicken now that you have your flock?

chicken farmer

Songster
10 Years
Feb 7, 2012
Southern,Ohio
Now that you have your chickens and you might see other ones you didn't no about or could get at the time do you wish you could get that breed but your to attached to your existing chickens to give or sell them to get new ones? I no I wish I would of bought some chicks of my breed choice instead of taking my friends chickens when I got my pen and coop built last year but now I don't have anymore room and I'm too attached to give or sell them but oh well I still love them all
tongue.png

i think we all end up with some type we really didnt want. with all the breeds and colors there are out there, you will more than likely always have a "want list". my DW and i have around 450 chickens, 55 or so different breeds and we still want others.

I want some java's but I wanted them before we got chickens.
I got a bared rock that is very noisy and I guess I won't be getting any more of them after talking with some people. I guess it is just common with that breed. mine will be eating and scratching around and bokking super loud at the same time. :(

We got some leghorns, and we love them (such great personalities!) But now I wish we would have bigger, heavier birds who don't fly over the fence so much. Sorry neighbors!

Hmm, as we only moved to the country a year ago, we had planned to wait a while till we got chickens. But a friend had brooded too many, and they were eating him out of house and home. So now from him we have 7 hens: 3 BOs, 2 BRs, 1 Partridge Rock, 1 Speckled Sussex, along with a Crested Polish rooster.
I think the Buff Orpingtons are rather, not to be mean, but dumb. I don't think I would get them again.
My husband and I really favor the Partridge Rock and the Speckled Sussex.
I know BR's are great layers, but I prefer the other 2 still. :) They have the most personality.
Our rooster so far is awesome.
We also have 3 EE hens, another BR hen, and an unidentified black hen we inherited with the new to us coop from CraigsList. While we get beautiful eggs from the EEs, 2 of them are very hawk-like in their face, which I don't like. One seems to be mixed with Partridge Rock and is beautiful.
The un-IDed black one is super whiny (if chickens can be whiny!) and she drives me nuts with it, lol. But my DH loves her for her classic 'farm chicken' look, lol. And she is nice, so I guess I shouldn't complain!

I wouldn't trade any though, as they are all happy, healthy and laying... but as time goes by and *we* choose what breeds we are using to replace, I think we will seek out those breeds we like more.
Anyhoo, my long two cents! :p

The beauty of it is... it's not a one time decision. Most chicken keepers will be culling and adding to their flock every year or so. There's always the opportunity down the road to change direction.

The beauty of it is... it's not a one time decision. Most chicken keepers will be culling and adding to their flock every year or so. There's always the opportunity down the road to change direction.

Exactly! That way you never get bored either, with always looking at the same birds, :)
I think too I will always have rather mixed flocks. I love the look of all of them being so different, and it drives me batty not being able to quickly visually pick out a bird, so I wouldn't like leg bands for that many.

I think TONS of people feels this way. I know I have 26 chickens, not including chicks, And while I love them all I always say to myself I wish I did a pen of "fill in the blank" breed. And I always want to add something new. And I always say Im gonna add something new or Im always searching for different breeds of hatching eggs etc... But for now Ive run out of room and all 4 chicken coops are maxed out. I will eventually switch things up though and add new breeds and keep a wish list of all my wants.

Back
Top Bottom